5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

roundman 1 more???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 10:29 PM
firedawg

Default roundman 1 more???

which one???

RESISTOR
Note: 2 male connectors - 61 1/2 inches long

RESISTOR
Note: 3 connector wires

RESISTOR
Note: ign. coil; 2 male connectors; 49" long; exc. cal.

COIL RESISTOR
Note: , w/2 male connectors -- 61 in. gt, lx listing

COIL RESISTOR
Note: , (pink 57 in. long) gt, lx listing

COIL RESISTOR
Note: , w/(2) 3 wire connectors gt, lx listing

i just bought a MSD distributor and was wondering which ballast resistor i would need. thank you for you help.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:23 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: roundman 1 more???

I may be wrong, but as far as I know the stock wiring harness already has a built in resistor for the ignition system and don't think you need to change anything to go with the MSD distributor, just get the proper wiring harness from MSD so it plugs right into the existing harness and you should be fine. you can probably double check this with the tech people at MSD to be sure, just go to their website and check it out.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:34 PM
firedawg

my car was the one the just shut off and you said that it might be the guts of the distributor or the ballast resistor. you said that in your shop manual you just can't replace it with any wire. i just want to make sure that i get the right one.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:12 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Have you tried to start the car with the new distributor in it yet? If it starts and runs, then you don't have a problem with any resistor wire. And my shop manual doesn't tell which wire is used in which cars, so I guess you need to locate the bad wire in your car and then match it up with one of the new ones you have listed above. have you tested the TFI module mounted on the original distributor yet as it could still be part of the trouble you know. are you using the original TFI module or did the new MSD distributor come with one? sorry I can't be much more helpful than this, but it's the best I can do right now.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:52 AM
firedawg

i have not recieved the new distributor yet, but it comes with a new ignition modual (thats the one on the outside right). I replaced that and it doesn't start. i hope that the distributor fixes the problem. wires arn't my specialty. thanks for your help.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:02 PM
firedawg

i installed the new distributor and it still doesn't start. still haveing the same problem. only sparks when once i stop turning the key.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:13 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

sent you an e-mail with couple of pages from my manual, hope this helps you out with it.
and let me know what you finally find out as to why it won't start.
I had the TFI module fail in my '88 once many years ago and it died right on the interstate put I got it off on the shoulder and got a two truck. cost me $300 including $50 for the tow to get it running again.