5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Question about my tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:55 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default Question about my tune

I just looked over my latest data log from the Tweecer and I noticed something.

While driving around normally, my KARMF is about 0.96 - 0.98 so I know I'm running just a tad bit rich then. But as soon as I hit WOT, I notice that myLAMBSE dropped into the 12s.Then it worked its way down to 9s. If I'm not mistaken, wouldnt that mean that through the WOT run, it was constantly requesting an increasingly richer mixture? It never jumped back up until I let off the throttle. I would think that means that for that moment, I was running lean and it was trying to force the computer to enrichen the mixture. Am I reading that correctly? Of course, KARMF doesn't come into play at WOT, only LAMBSE. So I know I'm running rich under normal conditions. Now I'm wondering if I'm lean at the high end.

Unfortunately, when I'm tuning at home I don't have access to wideband sensors. I have to take a weekend where I'm not working and go to the friend's garage to access that. So sometimes I mess around with small things here and there and I try to figure out what I need to adjust on my next trip to his dyno. It makes it quicker and easier when I actually get there.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:58 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Question about my tune

you shouldnt be tuning without a wideband... plain and simple
Old 05-08-2007, 10:26 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Question about my tune

I was working on driveability first and thought I had it nailed. But then I left, did some long datalogs to get some good readings after resetting the KAM, and noticed that it was constantly reading slightly rich. It wasn't until I got back here and reviewed the WOT runs (hard to see the laptop or anything for that matter at WOT) and that's when I noticed the LAMBSE and it's pattern. I know it will bounce around normally and I know that it also runs self tests on the NB sensors from time to time to ensure they're working properly. But this was pretty consistant and there seemed to be a direct link to my power and my LAMBSE at the time.

So now I'm wondering if my MAF transfer is F'ed up. Not sure if I should tweak the CL a bit more to lean it out, or if I should just say screw it because it seems to drive well, and then move on to trying to narrow down the OL / WOT. I had hoped to be able to move on to the next stage of tuning it but if haven't actually nailed this down, then I've got more work to do.

That's the problem with boost. Unless I'm at WOT, I'm not pushing any PSI into the cylinders. And if I'm not pushing any PSI then the methanol isn't injecting. So that can cause some serious problems if I'm ever in that range where Im accelerating rather quickly but not quite at WOT. And that's the part I'm having trouble working out.

Not sure if it's better to leave it a little rich for just that reason, or if I should try to tune it out. And now I toss this potential Open Loop lean issue into the equasion and the fun never stops!