5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Brake Drag?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Default Brake Drag?

Long read.

I have a heat issue with my drums, passenger side only.Shoes were replacedon both sides as a passenger side shoe was split its entire width at the rivets and one corner of material was missing.

After the new shoes were put in and road tested, the brakes made a hollow-like sound as if they were rubbing something while driving. It was in rythym and pretty much constant and got louder as i sped up. When i applied the brakes the noise went away [drivers side made no noise].I pulled over and the passenger side drum was hot. Not warm, hot, and i could smell it. Drivers side was fine.

Before i put the new shoes on, i noticed a hairline crack at one corner of a shoe [new shoe]. I put it on anyway since it wasnt split.

Once i got home i checked the drums again and sure enough the same side was hot. The drivers side was fine. I then replaced all the hardware on that side thinking maybe the springs were too worn to pull the shoes away from the drum. New springs didnt solve anything. Still hot. The hairline crack in the new shoe didnt change.

After that i put the old shoes back on [passenger side only] as that crack in the new shoe bothered me.I replaced thesplit shoewith a good shoe as the old shoes still had 1/4" of material. After yet another road test iadjusted the shoes so that they werent as close to the drum but it hasnt fixed the heat issue. I noticed the face of the shoes next to the drum were black as if burned. It doesnt rub off. The rubbing noises i heard with the new shoes are not present with the old shoes

Since new hardware didnt work i installed new wheel cylinders and all new springs, both sides for everything. Still hot on the passenger side and i can still smell it. Drivers side is still fine. The brakes were bled properly and push no air. No noises were heard while driving or braking.

I dont know if the drum was getting hot with the old shoes or not. The only reason i found out is because after the new shoes went on i heard rubbing. But seeing as the old shoes are black on one side only, something has to be holding the shoes against the drum to make them hot. it has to be during braking tho since if they were rubbing constantly id have smoke pouring out from the drum. There is none.

So what in the world are my brakes doing??? Its just the passenger side.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:24 PM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Brake Drag?

It's strange because almost the same thing is happening to me. It's my driver's side drum, and it gets way hotter than the left. It also sometimes makes a squeaky noise. idk, but i'm replacing the e-brake cable and both drums anyway.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:31 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

sounds to me like the shoe is touching the drum... i no this might be a stupid question... but you tried to simply adjust them right???
Old 05-23-2007, 06:52 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

did you accidentally install the shoes backwards???
Old 05-23-2007, 07:00 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

It sounds like the drums are warped. Did you have the drums turned when installing the new shoes? Most people assume that drums just cant warp, they can. Either get the ones you have turned or better yet get some new ones, paint em up with high heat paint, slap em on there and adjust em up. Make sure you clean and lube the star adjuster. When adjusting them there should a very minimal amount of drag, itll go away after a few miles of driving.
-P.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Dime - Brakes always get bled when i crack the line.

Adder - Shoes are in the right way.

I always adjust the brakes and lube the adjuster as well as the contact points on the backing plates. Everything gets cleaned to.

Drums have not been turned and are the only things not replaced yet. If the drum is warped its not by much. I spun the drum by hand and couldnt hear anything.Ill look a bit more into it.

Thanks.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:57 PM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

It sounds like the drums are warped. Did you have the drums turned when installing the new shoes? Most people assume that drums just cant warp, they can. Either get the ones you have turned or better yet get some new ones, paint em up with high heat paint, slap em on there and adjust em up. Make sure you clean and lube the star adjuster. When adjusting them there should a very minimal amount of drag, itll go away after a few miles of driving.
-P.
This was my thought. That's part of the reason i'm getting new drums (wish i could do the damn reardisc swap)
Old 05-23-2007, 11:00 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

By any chancehas the brake line running to the problem side been pinched or damaged?
Old 05-27-2007, 03:08 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

PRO - Brake lines are good.

Got new drums and everything is back to normal. I backed off the shoes a bit tho to and sanded some of the black stuff off the shoes. Theres no more burnt smell and the drum isnt hot like it was.

Thanks.

Was ready to strangle somebody today, yesterday actually. CJ Pony Parts is maybe 20 mins away from me. Figure Mustang shop should have this stuff.Besides, catolog lists drums for 79-93 at $55 a pop. Well, they dont stock them so theyd have to order them. Would take a WEEK to get them in. Huh!?! So i call Advance Auto.They had to order them to but would be a next day delivery. Got them the same day in a few hours. Cost?Just under$28 a pop. Sweet. Sometimes i have to wonder about CJs.I really do.