5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

X pipe and poor idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:55 PM
pjstortz

Default X pipe and poor idle

Ok folks, I usually do not post to forums but I do have a little info that may be helpful to someone. I understand that the poor idle thing for 5.O's has been discussed alot, however, I solved a problem today that did not involve removing air intakes, or cleaning throttle bodies, or any of the other 100 or so solutions that most others suggest when a person switches to an offroad X or H pipe and begins to experience driveability problems.

I recently put on a Pypes offroad X pipe and after taking the car out for a test drive(94 GT), I thought I might have a problem getting home as the car repeatedly surged, bucked, and stalled. (After driving several miles) It was a few days later that I recalled a line in the Pypes installation paper that stated something like "you may see a lot of smoke initially as the machine oil used in the production of this exhaust burns off, this is normal".

I can tell you that when I fired up the car for the first time following the install, there was a HUGE amount of smoke generated. From both under the car and out of the exhaust. Initially I didn't give it much of a thought, however, as I stated, I began to wonder later if the smoke had contaminated my O2 sensors, causing the driveability issues above. I decided to replace them. I was suprised to find that as I removed them a light gray ash fell out from around the threads and the sensors themselves appeared to be coated in a layer of soot. I can only assume that the sensors were unable to function due to being coated by burning machine oil that Pypes uses in the manufacturing process. Not knocking Pypes, others may do the same.

My advice is, if you have just replaced your exhaust and suddenly notice surging idle, stalling, etc., check your O2 sensors. If there was any kind of "break in" period involving burnoff of any sort, I would suspect the O2 sensors first. I wouldn't say that they are a cheap fix, but they are easy to access and not horribly expensive. Tonight's ice cream run was trouble free, car had plenty of power, never hiccupped. P.S. Regarding the Pypes Offroad X for a 94-95 GT, the driver's side sensor needs an extension, the passenger side does not. I solved that problem by buying one Bosch "universal fit" for the driver's side and one Bosch OE for the passenger. You have to re-use the connector from one of your old O2 sensors on the driver's side and splice the universal fit sensor to it but it's pretty darn easy if you are even remotely handy. The other side fits perfectly. This saves the cost of having to buy a pair of extensions for $40 or so.

See you on the road!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:10 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: X pipe and poor idle

Good info thanks! Have to pass this on to my brother. He put an x pipe on his 01 Roush and it isn't running quite right could be the same issue!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:40 PM
justakid
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the post!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:46 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

I just did my H/C/I and threw a UPR X-Pipe on there........I was wondering if I should get new O2 sensors.......

With the problems I have been having with my idle.....I may just invest in some.....any suggestions?