5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Strange.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 01:18 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Strange.........

Why would that cause it? Is there some sort of ground down there that I don't know about?
Old 12-27-2004, 01:33 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

wires only burn up when they are carrying more current than they are rated to handle, so look for the source of the current draw on that wire and you will find the problem there. could be some of the ground straps between the engine block and chassis are broken and the smaller wire you're talking about is having to carry a higher load than it was designed to handle.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:13 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I thought about the ground straps. I guess I'll be going on a wild goose (wire) chase Friday. That will be the first chance I have to look into it.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:43 PM
88GT40
2nd Gear Member

The smaller wire is the ground wire, you definately need a good ground wire if you want your car to run.
found this on a tech sight on pro-flow.com
Check the computer ground wire on the negative battery. Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and find
the small black wire and measure the resistance. The value should be 0.2 ohms or less. If this measurement is
above 0.2 ohms, then add an additional 10-gauge wire to the negative battery terminal to the frame connector. Run
self-test again. When you relocate the battery to the trunk, most people chop the wire from the negative terminal to
the frame, and ground the battery using a short cable to the frame rail in the trunk. This will cause the vehicle to run
lean and very erratic due to poor grounding of the electrical system and ECM ground. Using a welding cable, connect
the battery negative terminal to the engine in the same place it was connected before the move. Use a second 10-
gauge wire from the battery negative terminal to the frame connector (near the washer bottle for 88-94 models. On
newer models follow the old wire from the negative terminal to the frame.) It must be restored.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:11 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88GT40

The smaller wire is the ground wire, you definately need a good ground wire if you want your car to run.
found this on a tech sight on pro-flow.com
Check the computer ground wire on the negative battery. Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and find
the small black wire and measure the resistance. The value should be 0.2 ohms or less. If this measurement is
above 0.2 ohms, then add an additional 10-gauge wire to the negative battery terminal to the frame connector. Run
self-test again. When you relocate the battery to the trunk, most people chop the wire from the negative terminal to
the frame, and ground the battery using a short cable to the frame rail in the trunk. This will cause the vehicle to run
lean and very erratic due to poor grounding of the electrical system and ECM ground. Using a welding cable, connect
the battery negative terminal to the engine in the same place it was connected before the move. Use a second 10-
gauge wire from the battery negative terminal to the frame connector (near the washer bottle for 88-94 models. On
newer models follow the old wire from the negative terminal to the frame.) It must be restored.
I might have to give that a try. My neg cable already has an additional 10 gauge wre sticking out from the connector, but it is not attached to anything. What is the frame connector? I have never heard of that before. I take it that it is under the coil cover??
Old 12-27-2004, 05:31 PM
88GT40
2nd Gear Member

good q? i'm not sure myself, you prob dont have to use the frame rail ther's got to be plenty of good places to ground the thing under the hood