5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Blower/PCV/No PCV/Breathers

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:31 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Blower/PCV/No PCV/Breathers

ORIGINAL: only90s

If the PCV only works on vacuum and is blocked during boost...then under boost and at WOT the engine should be breathing through the breathers and no unmetered air should get it...Does that sound right?

If so then the only time the vacuum leak is an issue is under normal operating conditions when there is no boost....that does not seem that dangerous to me, but I am an idiot sometimes...
Semi-correct. Yes, under WOT AND under boost, then air will be coming out of the breathers (as opposed to being sucked in.) You will also be in OL during that situation. But there are times where you are at WOT and not into boost yet, like when flooring it from the line.

During that brief period, you are still in closed loop (until your TPS hits a certain voltage.. personally I lowered mine to force OL quicker.) But during that time it will be pulling a lot of unmetered air into the system.

Then look at the times where you may be accelerating but not at WOT. I'm sure there are many times where you give it gas to accelerate yet you are not holding the pedal to the floor. Under those conditions you will also have a major leak. Now what is more likely? Are you going to be driving around at WOT and under boost most of the time or are you gonig to be driving around normally?

As stated above, you can compensate to a certain extent by simply enrichening the mixture across the board. That would keep you within safe parameters for the most part, but it certainly can't guarantee it. And on top of that it's going to give you less gas mileage while robbing you of power. It's basically creating a problem on purpose, and then trying to find a ghetto fix to repair the problem.

Here's an analogy. You have a nice new tire. For some reason you decide to put a pinhole in the tire so that it slowly seeps air. But not you hook up a pump to the tire to make sure that it keeps putting air back in the tire. Sure, you will keep the tire filled. But how do you know if you are adding too much pressure or not enough pressure? And why the hell would ou even want to put the hole there in the first place? Just because you can work around the hole doesn't mean that it's a good idea to put it in there.

I can also slit my wrist and then put a bandage over it to stop the bleeding. Then i can put medicion over it to stop teh spread of infection. But wouldn't it make more sens to actualyl not slit my wrist to begin with?
Old 06-04-2007, 06:37 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

And here is the most important question that i don't think has been asked yet. What are you trying to accomplish by reconnecting the PCV system? What problem are you trying to eliminate? Whatever the problem is, there must be a more reasonable solution.

If the problem is crankcase pressure created by blowby, then this is NOT going to help and would actualyl hurt more than leaving the PCV unattached. That is because as you go into boost, you are getting more blowby. And now you have also closed off one of the means of letting that pressure out. Before when you were at WOT, the PCV and the breater combined tried to relieve pressure. Now, only the breather will be able to do that. So you have made the problem worse.

If your problem is oil spraying out of the breather cap. Then just as stated above, this solution is only going to force more air out of teh breather and at a greater velocity. Which means even more oil.

I can't think of any reason to reconnect the PCV because at teh time when pressure is at it's highest,. the PCV valve stops working and actually prevents air from escaping the crankcase as well.

If anything, spend the $20 to get a crankcase evac setup where you can vent from the valve covers straight to the headers themselves.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:43 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

Excellent points andwell developed arguements. I shall discuss at length with this alleged expert...I only hooked it back up because he told me too...Now I will tell him that Samseed101 told me to unhook it....LOL...

Seriously...thanks for the info..I have a much better understanding now...
Old 06-04-2007, 06:54 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

plug the pcv valve with a rubber freeze out plug and run breathers....850+hp drives like stock until you hit the throttle. as much as i like this forum to "shoot the sh#t".....go to sites like corral.net or turbomustangs.com to get techinfo from really knowlegdable guys...most of them can't stand this site because of all the misinformation. no offense to anyone in particular
Old 06-04-2007, 06:56 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: only90s

Excellent points andwell developed arguements. I shall discuss at length with this alleged expert...I only hooked it back up because he told me too...Now I will tell him that Samseed101 told me to unhook it....LOL...

Seriously...thanks for the info..I have a much better understanding now...
LoL, I'm no expert by any means, but I have a decent understanding of how the system works and why ford designed it the way they did. But they never planned on these cars running under boost.

I'll see if I can find my old Procharger manual. But I recall them even saying that you had to remove the PCV system, or at least alter it so it was not attached to a vacuum source in any way.

Did he tell you why he wanted you to reconnect it? I'm curious hat his reasoning was. If he can't give a valid reason, then I'm not so sure I'd listen. Sure, it will help clear corrosive gasses out of the crankcase, but I'm not sure it's worth it given the problems it would create. If it's that much of an issue, the $20 crankcase evac system will dump excess pressure into the headers for you. And if it's really bad and if you want some sort of vacuum / suction in there, then you can get an evac system that operates on an electric pump. Those cost a bit more, but it's still a better solution.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:19 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: turbostang21

plug the pcv valve with a rubber freeze out plug and run breathers....850+hp drives like stock until you hit the throttle. as much as i like this forum to "shoot the sh#t".....go to sites like corral.net or turbomustangs.com to get techinfo from really knowlegdable guys...most of them can't stand this site because of all the misinformation. no offense to anyone in particular
That may be the case (with misinformation) however, in this particular thread I don't see any misinformation. Everyone seems to have valid points and concerns about what his tuner is telling him to do. And looking at some of the people that chimed in...they have a good deal of tuning knowledge as well.

In all honesty, the PCV system is not that difficult to work with and work around.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:07 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

ORIGINAL: turbostang21

That may be the case (with misinformation) however, in this particular thread I don't see any misinformation. Everyone seems to have valid points and concerns about what his tuner is telling him to do. And looking at some of the people that chimed in...they have a good deal of tuning knowledge as well.

In all honesty, the PCV system is not that difficult to work with and work around.
I agree...it was certainly a blanket statement and advice for the futurei told him what he needed to do...you gave a long and thourough explanation to come to the sameconclusion. personally i leave that for the search function as this is certainly not a new issue on any board. what can i say...you're more internet friendly than i am
Old 06-04-2007, 08:36 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

LoL, well I figured I would explain it in a little more detail just to make sure others understand as well. Now if he had asked what Explorers had GT40 heads, what gears he should get, or how much HP would his combo get him...then I probably would have been a bit less friendly[8D]
Old 06-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

A couple of Q's come to mind...... (last one is the most important)

1. How do OEM Turbo setups (old and new) deal with crankcase emissions......they are not allowed to throw them to the atmosphere.

2. How do OEM SC setups (old and new) deal with crankcase emissions......they are not allowed to throw them to the atmosphere.

3. If 1 and 2 are a fact, oil in the intake = more emission infringements....they would not be allowed to sell the car to the public.

4. Regarding the PCV behavior under WOT conditions....will the car be driven under WOT 100% of the time?.....80%?....50%?....= is driveability a concern?

5. Is this misinformation?......DTS!....that the system can compensate for such a condition?...yep, but you're paying for it.

6. Who is paying for your tune?...and the results of its outcome?......(rhetorical questions )....then you are entitled to all the information you request regarding your concern.