5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

throwout bearing or everything?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 02:51 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: throwout bearing or everything?

its the throwout bearing. the clutch should have broken in by now.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:55 AM
91bigredgt
1st Gear Member

ok i guess i will just replace the clutch and bearing then cause i dont like the squeel and the smell of burnt clutch isnt to pleasant especially if its "new" btw the smell isnt there anymore but it was tuesday
Old 06-29-2007, 03:00 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

well give it till monday and if it doesnt stop then change it. theres a possibility they didnt have the flywheel resurfaced and this is causing your problem also. so have it resurfaced when you change the clutch and throwout
Old 06-29-2007, 03:12 AM
91bigredgt
1st Gear Member

aight thanks for the advice cause to be honest a new clutch and stuff wasnt in the budget just yet lol also hopefully im not asking to much but ive got two other problems thatare smaller. everything that was done to my car was done by the previous owner who used it as a dd cause he had a race car on the side. the exhaust pops when i step on it real hard in 1st and into 2nd and stops. im not sure if its normal or not. the exhaust is setup as follows- bbk short headers, h-pipe no cats, dynomax turndown mufflers and the smog pump isnt hooked up and the exhaust seems to be in good condition except the typical rust forming on the headers.

problem 2 lol my car is idling very high upon start up after an hour or more of sitting. my uncle tried the idle screw and it brought it down alittle but not much. the car will idle in the mornings around 2k-2.3k and if i let the clutch out and hold it for awhile it will drop down to 1.5k or 1k depending on if it likes me that morning lol. ive tried to get the idle control valve off but the screws on the sensor are in not so good condition and gonna have to take them off with some vice grips. if i get it off and clean it out and it still doesnt work where should i go from there.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:23 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

clean your throttle body and make sure the blades not sticking, it may be gunked up and not closing all the way. as far as the popping , plug the hole for the pollution control on the exhaust and if it still does it check the timing
Old 06-29-2007, 03:30 AM
91bigredgt
1st Gear Member

what would u recommend plugging it with

Old 06-29-2007, 03:37 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

i cut a piece of plate round the same size as the hole and welded it up, but you could put a sheet metal screw in it big enough to self thread into the hole and then if it fixes the problem have it welded up at your convience.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:24 PM
91bigredgt
1st Gear Member

i found something else today that might be causing the idle problem. there is a hose that my uncle is telling me that should be going into the throttle body or somewhere in that area and the previous owner bypassed that hose and is now connected to something else and laying on top of the throttle body. anybody know what im talking about and how to fix this
Old 06-30-2007, 01:07 AM
Vader87
1st Gear Member

The bypassed hose that you are talking about maybe the coolant hose that runs through the top of the tb. That hose being bypassed probably wont affect your idle problem. Look into your IAC valve, 02 sensors, map sensor or vac lines leading up to the map sensor. Check the vac lines under the intake also. As for the noise you are hearing, what about the input shaft bearing? I replaced the clutch in my 87 GT, & when I did I also replaced the input shaft bushing, with a bearing instead. I have the same noise as you, in the same instance too. It didnt make that noise before, & I replaced everything including the throwout bearing. I also know that a buddy of mine did the same thing in his truck, & it made the exact same noise. You might check into it when you start getting into your clutch. If it has a bearing I wouldn't worry about it. I have been driving my car with that noise for 4 years now & have had no problems. Good Luck!
Old 07-07-2007, 11:14 PM
91bigredgt
1st Gear Member

ok i found out what was causing the idle to be so high .......ecu and bad icv. the ecu was set basically on wot. just thought i would update u guys on that and the clutch/bearing issue will solved soon car is going back to shop soon

Quick Reply: throwout bearing or everything?