5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Installed O/R H, but have problems...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 01:04 AM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

Default Installed O/R H, but have problems...

ok so today i installed my summit o/r h pipe. and it sounds freakin BA with the flowmaster american thunder system. getting my collector bolts off wasn't hard once i figured out what size they were(16mm). so i got that socket(only one i didn't have), then figured out that i needed a deep dish one. so needless to say i went to sears 3 times today. i figured out that the summit pipe was much easier to put on if you attach the middle first. i had the drivers side on, then hit trouble when trying to put on the passenger side. it just didn't want to twist for some reason, so i had to take the drivers side off and meet in the middle. i was under the car the whole time and just held them together and guided it into the rubber holder and up to the headers. i manhandled it all. my arms started cramping up too, but i got it.

anyway. here are the problems.

1) the stock header nuts are 16mm, but what is the thread pattern. i lost one of them. i was unscrewing it and it fell somewherenear thespring andnever hit the floor.i couldn't find it or shake it out.i need to go by ace and getanother one. its causing it to not seal all the way.anyone???

2)the airtube that connects to the stock hpipe would not come loose, so i hacked it off. now it just hangs there. what should i do about it??? should i try to cut the pipe more and mate them together, or just weld it shut??? what does this do anyway(would it harm anything if i just removed the thermactor pipe???

3)my passenger side o2 sensor is stuck in the old hpipe, and just won't come out. how can i get this bastard to come loose??? i've tried penetrating oil, wrenches, and vice grips w/ a hammer.

i also lost a 3/8x2.5" bolt that connects the midpipe to the flow tubes. that pissed me off. it just disappeared.

thanks,
jeff
Old 07-02-2007, 01:19 AM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Installed O/R H, but have problems...

Heat the sensor with a torch a lil all around by the threads, the pipe u cut is for the smog pump its no big deal ive passed emissions with it unhooked. Some people have passed with no smog pump at all.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:56 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: Mustangkiler

Heat the sensor with a torch a lil all around by the threads, the pipe u cut is for the smog pump its no big deal ive passed emissions with it unhooked. Some people have passed with no smog pump at all.
**** that.. buy a new o2 sensor, better yet, both of them.
as for the air pipe... delete it and the smog pump

2x 5/8"-11 bolts in the back of the heads. 3/4" long
Old 07-02-2007, 02:21 AM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

+1 would be a lot smarter just to buy new ones, just figured he was looking for the cheap way out.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:22 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

you should also be installing the hpipe from the headers-back. if you install the muffler-to-mid section first, your header-to-mid flange WILL leak.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:50 AM
piedraco
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

you should also be installing the hpipe from the headers-back. if you install the muffler-to-mid section first, your header-to-mid flange WILL leak.

+1 on that, if you hear that tick tick tick followed by that tock when you drive, you have an exhaust leak. headers back son headers back.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:13 PM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

i know headers back. but i think that i still have a leak on the passenger side because i lost a bolt. it makes a fast popping sound when i go over 2k rpm's.i just wanted to know what size that nut was that attached to the stock header. i lost it. i know its a 16mm, but i don't know the thread pattern. any ideas???

also, should i tighten them until i can't tighten anymore???
Old 07-02-2007, 09:50 PM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

anyone???
Old 07-02-2007, 11:55 PM
red302
1st Gear Member

As for the thread pattern I dont know what it is for the stock headers. But I had a leaking issue on both sides at the collectors with my O/R H pipe last summer right after I installed it with my Mac catback. I just added washers and put the nuts backon. Solved the problem. You should try asking a technician at a Ford dealer about the thread pattern for the stock headers.