5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Water pump sealing tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:05 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Default Water pump sealing tips?

I've decided to deal with my cooling system once and for all and replace pretty much everything. Does anybody have any sure-fire tips or tricks for making sure the water pump seals 100%? This will be the third time I've had to put a pump on the car since I've had it (Second time was after the HCI so that shouldn't count). I'm replacing the thermostat, water pump and all the hoses at once. My thermostat is already installed and the timing cover has a mirror finish on it after getting all the old gasket crap off. Thanks all!

Here's a video with about 16psi in the system using a pressure tester. It never leaks like this when it's running, but some of you may remember my thread where something went haywire and I had coolant all over the engine bay ( https://mustangforums.com/m_3537553/tm.htm ).

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...t=832efffd.flv
Old 07-31-2007, 06:35 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Water pump sealing tips?

At work I use air craft glue from the parts store. Its really tachy and seals pretty good. When you buy a new water pump make sure you pull the backing plate off and put some on both sides of that gasket too. It will never leak. Also when bolting down a water pump I always try to make a cross of the bolts tightening them down so nothing warps.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:10 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Would high tack yellow silicone work okay?

Congrats on the 12s btw.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:35 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

How did you originally remove the old gasket material before putting the new gasket on?

-Jeff
Old 07-31-2007, 07:49 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

You don't need the yellow RTV. Use theultra black rtv and let it cure, apply it to both sides of your water pump gasket. It will never leak again.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:50 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I'm not a fan of the high tach yellow silicone. I would use ultra black before the yellow.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:08 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

The main thing is getting rid of the old gasket material correctly or you will be pouring something out of your waterpump or timing cover. Silicone isn't going to solve the problem if that is the case. I didn't clean my timing cover off all the way of old gasket material and ended up spilling oil everywhere a few days later and had to pay to have the cover cleaned in a local shops parts cleaner (worked like a charm). I then used the black silicone to adhere to the cover and problem solved.

Same thing in case with the waterpump. It's just really important you didn't put any gashes in the timing cover/waterpump or there will be leaks!

-Jeff
Old 07-31-2007, 10:01 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nothsa

The main thing is getting rid of the old gasket material correctly or you will be pouring something out of your waterpump or timing cover. Silicone isn't going to solve the problem if that is the case. I didn't clean my timing cover off all the way of old gasket material and ended up spilling oil everywhere a few days later and had to pay to have the cover cleaned in a local shops parts cleaner (worked like a charm). I then used the black silicone to adhere to the cover and problem solved.

Same thing in case with the waterpump. It's just really important you didn't put any gashes in the timing cover/waterpump or there will be leaks!

-Jeff
I used 80 grit sandpaper to remove all the gasket material. The timing cover is as clean as can be now...not a spec of gasket material on it. So, use black RTV, put a thin later on both gaskets, put it on, and let it cure before putting coolant in?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:02 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Ignore this post, accidentally quoted my above post instead of editing.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:07 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

u dont need to let it cure. slap it on, bolt up it, fill it up

Quick Reply: Water pump sealing tips?