5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 05:27 PM
wendysdbcb

Default help!!!

hi there, if you could help i would be extremely gratefull. so heres to problem.... i have an 88' gt i've always had stupid **** go wrong with it but over the past few months i've gone through a number of starter soleniods, and every time i put a new one in it works fine for a while. about a month ago i changed out my spark plugs, rotor, cap and adjusted to timing. after that i went out to drive it and see how i like to timing adjustments i had made. for a while now after i had added mass air, and gt-40 upper and lower manifolds the car will try and die on me at stop lights. as i was trying out the timing adjustments i had made, the car died a couple of times and a light, on the last time i couldn't get it started up again. after replacing the stater solenoid, starter, pulling and cleaning the main ground, and power lead to the starter i am still getting the same problem. after charging my battarie i can turn the power on the all the excessories, like headlights, convertable, radio, etc.... however when i got to engage to solenoid to the starter, there is a faint pop and nothing happens. after this happens, i can no longer turn power to the eccesories and i have to recharge the batterie. there is nothing on that side of the solenoid exept for the lead to the starter. obviously its and electrical problem and there must be a short some where that is killing the ground. but i have pulled the ground and the lead to the started and wrapped them with electrical tape and still i get nothing. if anyone has any ideas, or previous experience with this problem, please give me a hand, because i just don' know what else i can do. thank you.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:38 PM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: help!!!

somethings loose.. a battery cable.. or ground.. check and make sure no waires are touching on ur starter.. also make sure the battery terminals are claen.. takje some coke to them if there not.. that alwasy cleans them right up.. but it sounds like somethings not tight or somthigns on backwards..
Old 08-02-2007, 05:45 PM
wendysdbcb

Default RE: help!!!

yeah thats what i thought aswell. but i pulled the main ground, and the power to the starter, cleaned them off, reinsulated them and reattached them. also cleaned, charged and replaced the batterie. do you know if there is supposed to be more than one wire going to the starter? or of any relays that could cause a problem like this?? i appreciate the help