5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Simple problem, not so simple solution =(

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 04:19 AM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

Default Simple problem, not so simple solution =(

Simply, the car takes a long time to start up, sometimes a good 4 secs of cranking, whats up with this? I replaced the fuel filter near the tank, no change. Wasnt like this up until a few months ago after the car had been sitting for about 2 months.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:08 PM
ballzoutstang875.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Simple problem, not so simple solution =(

when u turn the key to acc. , do u hear the fuel pump humm for a second?? u must because the car eventually starts after 3-4 sec's. maybe its ur fuel regulator, fuel filter inside the tank, (have to take out tank- but not hard), fuel relay switch(under drivers seat in green and black box).......?? sounds like a def. fuel situation, but leaning more towards fuel filter inside tank, which is connected to the fuel pump.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

Yeah you can hear the pump turn on, I havnt checked the filter inside the tank.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

are your injectors old? it could be your regulator too. make sure you dont start knocking.

how about plugs and wires? could be an electrical problem too.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:23 PM
garcia

Yeah it could be a fuel problem and i would check the injectors, maybe you could just get some of that injector cleaner from a local parts store and that'll get rrrr done.....but also, is it cold or anything outside because also in autotech we are learning about batterys and there is a batter catagorized as a cold cranking battery....maybe your battery isn't a cold cranking battery.....our teacher explained how the car would crank but the battery was too low to fire the engine or something of that nature.....but yeah not sure...maybe check the battery and see if it's fully charged or not because leaving a battery set in the cold isn't that great for it if it was cold....
Old 02-03-2005, 01:38 AM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

Battery is brand new, it cranks perfectly. The injectors MAY be dirty, ill check some of that stuff out. Fuel press regulator is also brand new.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:08 PM
ballzoutstang875.0
2nd Gear Member

well, it narrowed down now. I seriously think its the filter in the tank. its that or ur injectors? what # injectors do u have? stock? if it was ur plugs/wires, ud be missfiring or maybe backfiring too! fuel problem!! replace filter in tank, if thats not it, try injectors or injector cleaner.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:41 PM
brando5.0
1st Gear Member

I've had the same problem with another car that I owned. The only remedy I came up with was to turn the key to ON and wait a couple of seconds before moving the key to start. It seemed like the fuel was draining back. But when I kept the key at on first, the fuel pump had a chance to repressurize the lines, I think.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

brando, that sounds like a really good idea, i might try that

They are stock injectors, the car had all of the schedueled tune ups before I got it, b/c I didnt have the money to get the 81000 mile tune up, its at 89k now. Im guessing they changed the intank filter when they did at least one of the tune ups.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:24 PM
garcia

have you tried the fuel injector cleaner? one of my friends said his car was runnin like crap, put that stuff in with a full tank of gas and he said it ran a lot better after that.....so maybe that'll help.

Quick Reply: Simple problem, not so simple solution =(