5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

high volume oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 11:37 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: high volume oil pump

ORIGINAL: ahittz24

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

A high volume pump just has a larger pump body, so it's CAPABLE of flowing a greater volume in the same time, but that doesn't mean it will. The pump will only move as much oil as the resistances from the bearing clearances will allow based on the pressure setting. That being said, you're better off regardless running a larger capacity pan with baffles, to make sure the pickup doesn't go dry under hard acceleration/breaking/cornering.
WRONG!!!! The pump does and will pump at higher volumes other than a stock pump, reguardless of the bearing clearances. What about the valve train and camshaft? is there not oil consistantly pumping through the push rods and lifters? A high volume pump will pump a stock pan dry at 6-7k rpms, you need a moroso, crane, or other 7qt pan.
You apperantlyneither understand physics nor the internal workings of a pushrod engine. As far as the valvetrain, the lifters have metering controls built into them, they restrict oil to the upper end of the engine so the valvetrain doesn't get flooded, just like a bearing it only has so much of an opening the oil can go through. The ONLY way to get more oil to the valvetrain without modifying it, is to run more oil pressure. Same thing with bearing clearances, the space only allows a given volume of oil to flow through it under a certain pressue. A high volume STANDARD PRESSURE pump will not move more oil through the engine than the clearances and metering channels in the lifters will allow. A high volume HIGH PRESSURE pump will, because the resistance through the clearances is the same, but there's higher pressure to overcome the resistance and move more oil.

The reason that pans get run dry at high rpm is because the centripetal force of the crankshaftrotation throws the oil out from the bearings and has a net resistance lowering effect on the oiling system, allowing more oil to be pumped. If you're turning high rpm then you need to make sure you're getting proper oil return and have the necessary volume to compensate for the engine speed, but the pan isn't getting sucked dry simplybecause high volume pumps move more oil. If you had good bearing clearances you could get a stock pump to suck a stock pan dry at over 6,000rpm
Old 08-26-2007, 11:41 PM
86stanglx
2nd Gear Member

well on the pump, its a melling high volume and its been a year since i put the engine together to remember if its standard volume or not. im almost positive it is because i bought it when i used to work at oreilly's and it was on the shelf. i dought i will be turning much of 6000 anyways
Old 08-26-2007, 11:45 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

lets just put it this way, no matter what setup you have.

its never a bad idea to have too much oil "on demand", meaning extra capacity.
too much oil pumped through the system isn't the best idea, but it never hurts to have "reserves".
Old 08-26-2007, 11:49 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

So far i've been fine with the stock pan and melling high volume pump. All i had to do for clearance was switch one of the bolts on the bottom of the pump.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:49 PM
86stanglx
2nd Gear Member

ok then what about the windage tray and main cap girdle?
Old 08-26-2007, 11:50 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

5 quart pan + windage tray + high PRESSURE pump, not a HV pump = sustained 6500 rpm stints for like 5 minutes at a time and i never had an oil related problem

ahhh...... the sound of a high compression motor with a long duration cam screaming along at those speeds is music to my ears
Old 08-26-2007, 11:56 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I'm running a stock replacement pan with 6qt capacity and a Melling high volume pump, it'll go out to almost 7,000rpm with a single problem. Windage trays don't really matter muchunless you turn high rpm - at which point they start to make a difference, but a baffled pan is definately what you want. A windage tray certainly won't hurt if you have the money.

As far as high volume pumps, that and a large capacity pan is good insurance, even after a crapload of miles and the bearings wear, you still have oil pressure(high pressure pumps do that as well). You might lose a couple hp from trying to pump more oil, but it's better to pump more oil than you need, than to need more oil than you pump
Old 08-27-2007, 11:50 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

a 7 quart pan is a smart idea because the more oil in the pan, the longer it will stay there before it gets sucked into the pump. time in the pan is cooling time so more oil means cooler oil. thats why people buy larger pans for their tranny's and for their rear diff covers
Old 08-27-2007, 07:42 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

NHRA stock elimintor 5.0's HAVE to use the stock pan, best ones are deep into the 10's.
If they get away with that, you can too.......