5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How Much Horsepower - Just got a COBRA INTAKE MANIFOLD

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 11:17 PM
tooslow5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How Much Horsepower - Just got a COBRA INTAKE MANIFOLD

ORIGINAL: black89gt

why do you need such a big throttle body? you have no where near enough motor for that big of a throttle body. The biggest you should go is like 65mm at this point.
beat me to it
Old 09-14-2007, 11:22 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LS1this

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

. Get rid of the c&l. I bought one for another fox and it was crap.
can you explain why? I was thinking of getting one too.. but I keep hearing this.
I am just talking about me and a buddy's exp. We both bought a c&l and on one end we both had to grind the housing for it too fit. We probably could have sent it back but we bought it from a vendor at a nmra event and did not want to wait. It was our fault for not looking them over good when we bought them but we were to interested in getting back to the races.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:36 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

c&l are junk on foxes, i have heard they work good on SN's though. I had one, and couldnt get the idle right to save my life, put a pro m on, and it was perfect. As for a power increase dont expect much, the stock intake really isnt holding you back, its teh heads that do the damage. I also agree with 13, that TB is too big for those mods.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:38 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

ORIGINAL: 92FOX

I ordered a cobra upper and lower intake manifold , I still have time to change my order i think lol

So my question is what is the best intake manifold to go with

My current Mods : H - pipe - Flowmaster - No Cats - , BBK CAI ,

I ordered a 76mm Throttle Body - And A C&L 76mm MAF

So with theses modds and a Cobra Uppler an Lower , What would be my power gain

And should i go with a TRICK Flow upper and lower .. instead of Cobra
OK, this tread is going to carry a lot of assumptions simply because we don't know what your stock rwhp is, older cars tend to vary, much more, than new cars, for obvious reasons, when calculating rwhp due to the different wears indured by the car over time.

Based off of dynos I've seen of totally stock 87-93 Mustangs, I'm gonna say that you have around 170 rwhp. Now with that said, he's what I'm "guessing" you'll gain.

Also, as stated, they do no make a 76mm throttle body, but in any sense, unless you're touching the heads/cam, there is absolutly "NO NEED" to go any higher than 65mm. There is a fine line with air intake, too large of an opening can be just as bad as too small of an air opening when the wrong application is applied.

O/R H Pipe W/ Flowmasters - 8 rwhp
CAI - 6 rwhp
65mm TB - 3 rwhp
Cobra Intake Upper/Lower - 12 rwhp (guessing here, probably way under, but it's better to be under than exaggerate anyday)
MAF (bennifit of a doubt) - 2 rwhp
Total - 201 rwhp

Now those numbers are rather restricted guesses as the Cobra intake can be very iffy. In short, on a stock engine, the Cobra, Trick Flow Street Heat, and Eddelbrock, will all yield similar rwhp, it's the heads that make the difference.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:42 AM
LS1this

there is a 91 gt for sale here local, he posted his dyno and it was 199rwhp with full exhaust and bbk cai.Also was on you tube watching some dyno pulls, saw a gt put down 205 with just a K&N and a catback.. if your car isn't running with a bunch of messed up sensors, and your ignition/fuel systems are in good shape, no reason you shouldn't be around 200 pre your intake mods.. and I've got to think adding the bigger maf/tb/intake has to be good for another 20 horse or so but speculation sucks, if I was installing all those parts at the same time I'd definetly shell out the extra 100 bucks or so to do a before and after dyno run.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:48 AM
92FOX
1st Gear Member

TB Is a 65mm
Old 09-15-2007, 07:57 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

don't expect more than 7-10 hp

stock intake is good for 300 hp actually, as well as the fuel and rest of the induction

the heads are the holdup like stated b4, you'd be better off just putting gt40 irons on and keeping the rest stock for the same price as a cobra intake

you won't see any noticible gain, and i speak from experience not speculation

on my '90 GT i scored a ported "real" gt40 intake for a giveaway price and just threw it on since i had it......ZERO change in ET or MPH

on the other hand, i was pushing 300 hp on my '89 notch, stock block, boltons, 4.10's and nitrous , it went 12.50's at 108 , all stock fuel,induction etc.

i'd cancel and save for heads personally
Old 09-15-2007, 09:11 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

don't expect more than 7-10 hp

stock intake is good for 300 hp actually, as well as the fuel and rest of the induction

the heads are the holdup like stated b4, you'd be better off just putting gt40 irons on and keeping the rest stock for the same price as a cobra intake

you won't see any noticible gain, and i speak from experience not speculation

on my '90 GT i scored a ported "real" gt40 intake for a giveaway price and just threw it on since i had it......ZERO change in ET or MPH

on the other hand, i was pushing 300 hp on my '89 notch, stock block, boltons, 4.10's and nitrous , it went 12.50's at 108 , all stock fuel,induction etc.

i'd cancel and save for heads personally
agreed, the heads you have on there, are defective.