5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Starter engagement problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:43 AM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Default Starter engagement problems

Ok this is an 88 5.0. When I bought the car, there was a problem. The starter would engage, and sloooooooowly turn the motor over for a few seconds. Then it would slip, and just grind. It would do that until you moved the flywheel slightly (By say, pushing the car and letting off the clutch, or something). Then the cycle would repeat itself.

The starter has been replaced a couple times, so thats definately out. I had the flywheel out, and the teeth look fine. It was also straight I believe. This leaves me with no options that I can think of.

Are you sure there is no way to shim a ford starter? Couldn't you get a circle shaped shim? But even if that was the problem, how would you know if the starter was engaging too much, or not enough. It's the cranking over really slowly that has me confused as well.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2007, 07:59 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Starter engagement problems

The snout looks worn down.. I had the starter tested, it's fine.. I put another one on last night as well.. Same thing..

Anything look out of the ordinary!? I can't see it.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Vader87
1st Gear Member

Just a thought dont know if this will help but I had a similar problem with my 87 GT, & I ended up replacing the spacer that goes between the block & clutch,flywheel assembly. That spacer was bent just enough it caused starter engagement probs. My thoughts are that the starter is in enough of a bind to cause the slow start up. Start small & check all your wiring going to the starter, groundwires, battery-tested, voltage regulator on the alternator-have it tested. Other than the spacer, no money up front just some time. Hopefully that will lead you in the right direction & good luck!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:42 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JohnnyK

Anything look out of the ordinary!? I can't see it.
yah, the snout is broken. look right at the top of the shaft. there is a piece snapped right off. replace the starter.

might also want to consider unbolting the trans a bit and try to find that piece. if it manages to lodge itself inbetween moving parts, you aren't gonna be hapy.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:12 AM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. Well the PO had this in an 88. I have this in a 67 with all new wiring, and we both have tried direct connections.

He also threw 5 starters at it, I've thrown 2 at it, so the starter isn't the problem either..

I'm 100% stumped on this one. Unless he has a completely wrong flywheel (And the part number E6ZR would say no) I have nooo idea what it could be.

Vader: You MIGHT be onto something as it IS mildly bent around the starter (The side farthest away from the bellhousing). But i believe I bent that, and if so, and the PO had the same problem, then that would eliminate that. I wish there was an easier way to check that though..
Old 10-18-2007, 12:22 AM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Is the bellhousing from the same year car as the engine??? And is the starter made for that car as well??
Old 10-18-2007, 12:25 AM
Vader87
1st Gear Member

Did your starter ever fall off or come loose? Since you bought the car have you always had this problem?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Vader87
1st Gear Member

I agree withcleanfitty I believe you will need matching year bellhousing, & starter
ORIGINAL: cleanfitty

Is the bellhousing from the same year car as the engine??? And is the starter made for that car as well??
Old 10-18-2007, 01:23 AM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

They all SHOULD be. I didn't notice anything funky, but I'll double check the numbers tomorrow.. Engine block is E7TE. Where can I find the bellhousing number? and the number that I can see through the starter hole (For the flywheel) is E6ZR-AA.. There should be a longer number but I don't know if I can find it through that hole?
Old 10-18-2007, 01:27 AM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

In answer to that question, the PO had the same problem. I, stupidly, thought it would be an easy fix. He tried 5 different starters or so. I tried 2 last night. I had the starters checked at a store tonight. I found a stripped starter bolt, but it has since been retapped, and everything is tight.

I tried tonight, and I can't even tell if it's 'grinding', or just really, really, REALLY slow to turn over while making a noise. Engine turns over by hand ok. It's been rebuilt (I bought it, and rebuilt it.. Problem remains).

I tried bypassing the solenoid.. I'm using 1 gauge welding cable. The ends of the cable heat up quite substantially when trying to turn it over. Obviously not from a bad connection, so it must be trying to draw too many amps..

Quick Reply: Starter engagement problems