5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Gotta big shimmy...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:16 AM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Gotta big shimmy...

Did you have the flywheel resurfaced????

And did you make sure all thesurfaces were COMPLETELY clean?
Old 10-27-2007, 01:27 AM
StangBandit

yeah, the flywheel was resufaced and we cleaned it with brake cleaner a couple minutes before we put the clutch on
Old 10-27-2007, 11:31 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

On advise from a senior tech, Ill never again put a resurfaced or new flywheel on an old clutch with skimpered patterns.

Thats like having your rotors turned and using the same old brake pads, sometimes you can get away, sometimes not.

Would be cool to replace the Throwout Bearing and Race as well and the rear main seal.

Buying from a reputable source is critical for these parts.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:40 PM
StangBandit

I did... all this stuff is COMPLETELY BRAND NEW exept the flywheel but it WAS resurfaced. The clutch.. NEW. The throwout bearing... NEW. The race... NEW. Main seal.. NEW. Just about everything but the gears in the tranny.. NEW. The flywheel... RESURFACED. Tranny rebuild came from www.thegearbox.org and the clutch came from www.americanmuscle.com . Any clue now?
Old 10-28-2007, 03:52 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Yeah LIsten and quit arguing...if you have clutch chatter meaning the car shakes as you let the clutch out...it's most likely the flywheel and it doesn't matter if it was resurfaced...I bought one from napa reman=resurfaced and right out of the box it chattered.......so I got the being cheap philosophy out of my head and puckerd up and bought a new one =problem solved...........In my opinion reman flywheels are a waste cause it removes material and often will change the characteristics of clutch engagement like a low pedal which is what I had too, after the swap........So go buy a new one and solve your problem
Old 10-28-2007, 08:46 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

Yeah LIsten and quit arguing...if you have clutch chatter meaning the car shakes as you let the clutch out...it's most likely the flywheel and it doesn't matter if it was resurfaced...I bought one from napa reman=resurfaced and right out of the box it chattered.......so I got the being cheap philosophy out of my head and puckerd up and bought a new one =problem solved...........In my opinion reman flywheels are a waste cause it removes material and often will change the characteristics of clutch engagement like a low pedal which is what I had too, after the swap........So go buy a new one and solve your problem
thats sad to here
Old 10-28-2007, 09:54 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StangBandit

I just had the trans completely rebuilt and a Spec stage 1 clutch installed. I finally get ready to take her for a test run and Ibegin to let out the clutch slow and give it a little gas and the whole car starts to shake pretty bad. Once I get it back far enough, I put it in first and it does the same thing when I start to go. I resurfaced the flywheel.. i reset the clutch to zero.. I did all I knew. I'm lost. It only does it from a dead stop if that helps you narrow it down. Any ideas on whats goin on here?
excuse my stupidity but what is resetting the clutch to zero. i have done a bunch of tranny and clutch swaps and never heard of this? might just be some terminiology for something that i have been doing but didn't know what it was called.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:19 PM
StangBandit

I'm not sure what all modles have it.. but my Mustang has a self-adjusting clutch. Here is a scan from my book of how it works...

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...adjustment.jpg

You lift the pawl up and the thing with the teeth swings back. Then you press the pedal to the floor a couple times and sets the pedal for that specific clutch. The book calls this "Resetting the clutch to zero".
Old 10-29-2007, 02:53 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StangBandit

I'm not sure what all modles have it.. but my Mustang has a self-adjusting clutch. Here is a scan from my book of how it works...

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...adjustment.jpg

You lift the pawl up and the thing with the teeth swings back. Then you press the pedal to the floor a couple times and sets the pedal for that specific clutch.
gotcha... never heard of anybody calling that setting the clutch to zero.