5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine noise right after ignition

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 10:40 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

Default Engine noise right after ignition

whenever i rev up my engine after i start it up it makes sounds like back firing but i dotn think its backfiring because its not really loud enough...also ive been told when i do that black stuff comes out of my exhaust pipes..im guessing the guy was meaning black smoke when he said that...any idea what this is or how to fix it?...after i drive it around it stops so whenever i take it up anywhere they listen to me rev it up and its just fine so they just say its the car blowing out carbon but i dont think thats it.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:57 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine noise right after ignition

year make model mods

Old 10-28-2007, 12:01 AM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

Stock 1995 GTS
Old 10-28-2007, 12:04 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

clean the maf sensor with electrical cleaner spray ,it will turn from black to clean.

then, id change the spark plugs
Old 10-28-2007, 12:08 AM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

wheres the maf sensor at
Old 10-28-2007, 12:19 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Stator
This sensor tells the computer engine rotation. It sits under the distributor cap and picks up a signal from a wheel with teeth. The wheel has the same number of teeth as cylinders in the engine. The #1 cylinder tooth is smaller to identify firing order. This is the most important sensor. Without it working properly the computer never senses the engine moving and the entire vehicle is a paper weight.

Engine Load

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
Self explanatory, it measures how far you push the skinny pedal. This tells the computer how aggressively we want to drive, the computer is programmed to enrich fuel mixtures the further the throttle is opened. Just like an accelerator pump in a carburetor. Programming also alters the timing more aggressively to match. This sensor is very important in clueing the computer to future events, as it responds quicker to driver changes than any other sensor.

Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT)
This measures the temperature of engine, and has a great impact on fuel ratio. This makes simple work of enriching the mixture on start up, overheating, and full throttle fun. It also allows us to lean out the mixture at certain times, to shorten the time it takes to warm up the engine helping us get great fuel economy.

Air Charge Temp sensor (ACT)
This measures the temperature of the air entering the engine. Which impacts the fuel ratio; the cooler the incoming air is the denser it is. Denser air can utilize more fuel, giving us even greater accuracy in obtaining our desired air to fuel ratio.

Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor (HEGO)
This sensor measures the oxygen content in the exhaust gas. This sensor is for feedback, it tells the computer when the air to fuel ratio is above or below 14.7:1. Sometimes the computer is attempting this mixture and sometimes it ignores the HEGO. For more, please seek further reading on the web or in books.

Barometric Pressure sensor (BP)
This sensor measures the pressure of the outside air. This allows you to drive from Death Valley, California to Denver, Colorado. Keeping fuel ratios perfect for each elevation along the trip. This is something carburetors could never do. Speed density systems re-use the MAP sensor to obtain this data prior to start up.

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
Self explanatory, it tells the computer how fast you are going. This allows certain emissions functions to be operated while on the highway. Also effects fuel delivery during deceleration.

Knock Sensor (KS)
The knock sensor is used to detect engine detonation or spark knock. As a result, a voltage sent to the PCM which will retard spark timing.

EGR Valve Position sensor (EVP)
This sensor mounted to the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve (EGR) monitors its position. The computer delivers less fuel and more spark timing when the EGR is open. Lowering fuel millage and tail pipe emissions.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:20 AM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

ok thanks i will do that tommorrow hopefully then
Old 10-28-2007, 12:22 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

please update this thread
Old 10-28-2007, 12:41 AM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

update as in once ive cleaned it out if the problem is still there or if it is fixed? ill do that
Old 10-28-2007, 12:47 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

yeah and not flee ,

top of the night lad, Im PUI now