5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Is the problem a clutch cable???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 04:26 AM
kodadmin

Default Is the problem a clutch cable???

I recently asked a question about why my 1994 t-5 requires so much pressure on the clutch and me having a hard time shifting the car into gear. Is it possible that the clutch cable is to blame and that the current isn't working correctly ie disengaging the clutch fully???
Old 03-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Predator
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Is the problem a clutch cable???

Clutch cable shouldn't have anything to do with it being hard to get in gear, but you bring up a good point about not disengaging the clutch fully. If you are at a stop, and put in the clutch and you car still moves or is trying to, then yes you have a "not fully disengaged clutch." However, if you do this and the car doesn't move then its not the cable.

This is all given that you are on level ground.

All I can think of (given that it's not the cable) is a bad/going tranny/sincroes (sp?). Or do the sincroes (it looks too weird to be spelled correctly) only work when down shifiting?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:42 PM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

Yes It could be your clutch cable, mine snapped on me and when I replaced it what a difference. If its been a while then chances are the inside sheath is melted and gumming it up or something is causing it to bind and not move smoothly. As far as shifting the car into gear, the clutch cable has everything to do with it as it controls the pressure plate and clutch disc engagement. If it is not fully disengaging then yes it will be difficult to shift into gear and eventually it will cause transmission problems. This is what happens, you don't fully disengage the gear, you go to shift, it binds and bam you waste a gear, tranny rebuild time!!

Clutch cables are cheap I got one from Steeda for $32.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:57 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

my cable went one day going down the highway.. was fun speedshifting all the way home. got a new frpp one now tho
Old 03-03-2005, 01:19 AM
Trannyman
1st Gear Member

Haven't heard of this particular problem with Fox's, but have a buddy watch the firewall where the clutch cable passes through and make sure that the firewall isn't flexing too much when you press on the pedal.

Any slight drag of the clutch friction against the flywheel or pressure plate will make it difficult to get into gear due to the clutch still turning the input shaft.

Heavy pedal can also be a bad pressure plate. I've even seen the damper springs from the clutch disk come out and wedge inside the diaphram of the pressure plate making it hard to press the pedal. This can also lead to bent forks and broken/stretched cables.