5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

No blinkers = crappy ignition switch!! Rant within...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 07:00 PM
dangstang92
1st Gear Member

Default No blinkers = crappy ignition switch!! Rant within...

Drove my 92 GT Vert to the car wash. Was turning in to the parking lot when my blinker didn't work. Got into the wash stall and spent a moment fiddling around with the blinker stick, no blinkers. The hazard 4-way flashers worked so I ***-u-med the flasher relay for the blinkers had failed. Was done washing the car and pulled out to dry it off and tried the blinkers for the heck of it, sure enough they worked!! Done drying and started the car up again to go home, blinkers DIDN'T work again!! I was baffled!! At this point I'm super pissed. Get home and jump on Mustang Forums, used the handy "search" function. Many posts came up about the ignition switch and how friggin cheap Ford made it and about the switch recall.
Went outside, put the blinker on, jiggled the ignition lock in the ON/RUN position, sure enough as I worked the lock, the blinkers would go on and off with the key. Started the car, worked the key, the car would stall out. Heater fan and convertible top motor would go on and off too. Radio stayed on oddly enough.

I called my Ford dealer about the recall, service manager said there was no recalls on my VIN and that he couldn't help me because the "that thing is way to old!!" That "thing" is my cheap *** Ford car that could catch on fire. For how cheap the switch cost and the little time it would take to fix, I wasn't going to complain. Besides, I didn't want the car to burn to the ground while I was fighting with Ford to get it fixed.

So I replaced the ignition switch. $20, a couple beers and about 30 minutes later the problem was fixed. As expected, the original switch had already started to come apart within the column. When I unscrewed it and pulled the wire harness from it, the switch completely separated in my hand!! What an unbelievable piece of garbage!! And the new switch isn't much better, same pot metal hooks attached to the plastic harness.

If you have weird blinkers or the heater fan fails, or the car mysteriously stops running while driving, check the ignition switch. It could be in 2 pieces and ready to start a fire like mine was!

I plan to keep my Mustang because I like it, its a fun car. But when I finally sell it, I'm pretty sure this will be my last Ford car. It's baffling to me that Ford would have allowed a switch that controls so much crap to have been so cheap. A switch that was pretty much guaranteed to fail and in worst cases cause a fire. It's unacceptable. Hope they learned a lesson from this recall.

Thanks to Mustang Forums I was able to save labor costs for this repair! Sorry for the length, had to rant!!
Old 11-10-2007, 08:00 PM
89TripleWhite
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: No blinkers = crappy ignition switch!! Rant within...

i have kinda the same problem, if i juggle the blinker **** my head lights will flicker and if i push it forward to put on the brights the head lights turn off. lol maybe the same problem?
Old 11-10-2007, 08:02 PM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

this post is funny because i went through same thing, kind of. i got my 89 for real cheap because the guy that owned it could not figure out why it would not run. it would start then just die. i bought it hoping i could figure it out. i noticed it would run as long as i kept my hand on the ignition key. took it apart and had to bend the little aluminum tabs in place on the ignition switch and it was fixed, until two weeks ago when my blinkers and heater fan stopped working. ignition switch again.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:54 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

yea my ignition switch also went out on my car, which isnt the only thing. I have the same problem 89triplewhite almost. I have dims but when i switch to brights my lights go completely out. My dims work fine, along with everything else. Also when this problem happened i lost the green light for my auto colum, to show the green P R N OD D 1st so i dont know what thats about. Im pretty sure its the headlight switch but it also might be the headlight switch connector.

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP1395869...ductDetail.htm

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP243495/...ductDetail.htm

so i guess one of those two, or maybe both. I will find out soon enough when my mechanic takes a closer look at it.