5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ultimate throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:39 AM
cylostang

Default ultimate throttle response

Ok i want the ultimate in throttle response 5.0s. Now iv heard somewhere that if you increase bore and stroke like in a 347, you will gain hp but response may suffer a bit. It makes sense to me, you are increasing the amount of metal you have to make go round and round thus less response and less revvs. Im not sure how much you would loose and even if any at all if im misguided. My big queston or questions are what woulds be the best setup for me a 302, 306, 331 or 347 and can i use, say a crank from a 347 or 331 kit and still use my stock 4.000" bore, would i gain or loose response and revvs by doing so. I will be using a roller cam havent decided on solid or hydrolic, and full roller type shaft mounted rockers. What would be the best cam to use, please refer to my post in the Boost, Pipes and Nitros section titled twin ATI 67. I want some form of street-ableness, no droping the clutch at 3000 to be able to leave from a stop w/o a great deal of bogging, a moderate amount is however ok as long as it can idle.
[align=left]
[/align]
Old 11-14-2007, 08:51 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Default RE: ultimate throttle response

Throttle response has nothing to do with extra cubes.

It has to do with matching cam, heads, intake and compression ratio
A high compression engine with custom cam and matching heads and intake will rip off the line for you.

Its all in the cam ...................
Old 11-14-2007, 09:02 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: cylostang

Ok i want the ultimate in throttle response 5.0s. Now iv heard somewhere that if you increase bore and stroke like in a 347, you will gain hp but response may suffer a bit. It makes sense to me, you are increasing the amount of metal you have to make go round and round thus less response and less revvs. Im not sure how much you would loose and even if any at all if im misguided. My big queston or questions are what woulds be the best setup for me a 302, 306, 331 or 347 and can i use, say a crank from a 347 or 331 kit and still use my stock 4.000" bore, would i gain or loose response and revvs by doing so. I will be using a roller cam havent decided on solid or hydrolic, and full roller type shaft mounted rockers. What would be the best cam to use, please refer to my post in the Boost, Pipes and Nitros section titled twin ATI 67. I want some form of street-ableness, no droping the clutch at 3000 to be able to leave from a stop w/o a great deal of bogging, a moderate amount is however ok as long as it can idle.
[align=left]
[/align]
If you bogg from a stop then one of two things......your tune sucks...or you don't have enough gear or if an auto your stall speed is incorrect = not enough and that wouldn't really cause a bogg more so a slow take off till it got into the power band.....and if you plan to drag race then what fool wouldn't bring the rpm's up to launch..cause if you didn't your ace will get riced!!![&:] as far as motor choice ...no replacement for displacement.....I'm switching right now from a 11 to 1 306 that did low 12's to a 347 and I'll be danged if it'll suffer from throttle response cause it'll definately have more power than the 306 did and will be faster so choosing a 347 over a 306 to me is a easy one = more power = more throttle response....what's easier to do pull a teard or push one???........as far as a cam..that'll depend on where you want the r's to run...if it's gonna be max 6000 to 6500 then choose hydraulic roller but if you plan on hitting the 7000 plus range go solid as you want the max lift on the valves to reach their full potential without bleed off which can occur in high winding motors...but you better have a rotating assembly built for high R's...go 347 and check out a place like ford strokers .com ...he'll tell you what's up at a fair price
Old 11-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Cam, lightweight rods and pistonheads, lightweight flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, balanced rotating assembly...all key to getting quick throttle response.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:32 AM
cylostang

Yes i am indeed looking for revvs. Im not a fan of drag racing(as in me driving) but i will hit the drags every so often, the IRS i plan on puttin im my 67 wont help me there but i dont mind il be on road courses most of the time. There are a few reasons im leaning away from the 347 one, is the overbore, i want as much block strength as posible. So im going to incorporate so super cool high tech sleeves and a lifter valley brace. Two, i really wont need the extra....something just came over me, it hit me like a lead brick, the sleeves will solve my strength needs, and il get more hp w/o having to push as much boost. Haaha thank you mate and be sure to read that post, im just in love with that idea.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 11-14-2007, 10:21 AM
92Rideagain
1st Gear Member

Yes i am indeed looking for revvs. Im not a fan of drag racing(as in me driving) but i will hit the drags every so often, the IRS i plan on puttin im my 67 wont help me there but i dont mind il be on road courses most of the time. There are a few reasons im leaning away from the 347 one, is the overbore, i want as much block strength as posible. So im going to incorporate so super cool high tech sleeves and a lifter valley brace. Two, i really wont need the extra....something just came over me, it hit me like a lead brick, the sleeves will solve my strength needs, and il get more hp w/o having to push as much boost. Haaha thank you mate and be sure to read that post, im just in love with that idea.
[align=left][/align]
What motor do you have? Earlier you stated that you are looking at using nitrous or turbos. How much horsepower are you planning to make? Sleeving a stock block does not solve the strength issues of using high horsepower. A stock block is at its limit at 500hp although some have failed at 400hp. A stock 2 bolt main blocks has thin webbing that why it is not a good idea to bore more than thirty over on it. If you’re planning on a high revving combo why not get a new 302 BOSS block or a Dart block? Both can handlecombos from 302 to 363 cubic inches and handle 1000+hp if the internals are up to the task. What the cost of the sleeves? BOSS 302bare blocks $1695. Just my 2 cents!

Old 11-14-2007, 11:28 AM
cylostang

I was thinking bout a dss racing block and my hp expectations are bout 600-700. Im willing to spend up to 2k on a set of sleeves. Dont get me wrong i dont really care bout cubes so much as strength, i want more of an enduro engine rather than a one weekend drag engine. I apreciate all the cents i can get, by the time im done with my car il be a millionair thanks to all yall. btw i will be doing 95% of all the work on my car, when im done with it i want to know everything about it. im gona start off with the stuff i know how to do and all the complex stuff comes later. I expect with my income and current know-how the build will take 5-6 years and in the range of 50-60k(no girl friends and gourmet meals for me[&:]), good looking paint is just extra weight, baby blue with flat black stripes is fine with me.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 11-14-2007, 11:38 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I was thinking bout a dss racing block and my hp expectations are bout 600-700. Im willing to spend up to 2k on a set of sleeves. Dont get me wrong i dont really care bout cubes so much as strength, i want more of an enduro engine rather than a one weekend drag engine. I apreciate all the cents i can get, by the time im done with my car il be a millionair thanks to all yall. btw i will be doing 95% of all the work on my car, when im done with it i want to know everything about it. im gona start off with the stuff i know how to do and all the complex stuff comes later. I expect with my income and current know-how the build will take 5-6 years and in the range of 50-60k(no girl friends and gourmet meals for me[&:]), good looking paint is just extra weight, baby blue with flat black stripes is fine with me.
[align=left][/align]
then you won't waste your money on sleeves in a block that'really won't benifit from it if it's a stock block....use a boss block (has a 4.125 over bore capability)or a dart block....why put 2000 dollar sleves in a stock weak thin wall casting block.....you don't see nascar guys doing that........the boss block will satisfy your goal perfectly!!! and stay away from DSS!!! if you really want crap
Old 11-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

I was thinking bout a dss racing block and my hp expectations are bout 600-700. Im willing to spend up to 2k on a set of sleeves. Dont get me wrong i dont really care bout cubes so much as strength, i want more of an enduro engine rather than a one weekend drag engine. [align=left] [/align]
......[sm=badidea.gif]... that's a waste of money. For less than that you could have a good aftermarket block that should withstand anything you throw at it..... just a thought.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:59 AM
cylostang

really!??! DSS is crap eh. ok then dart and boss are new choices is there any more i shoud know about any other sugestions. I dont really think il be paying 2k on sleeves but thats just my cap, i want good stuff for my car, its like a brother to me. And as i said all the cents i can get.
[align=left] [/align]