5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

06 Front Struts and Knuckles to a 1985 Fox

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 07:43 PM
rat_rod_russell

Default 06 Front Struts and Knuckles to a 1985 Fox

I asked earlier looking for rally racers in their mustangs and got the link to those wicked rally vids. So I tracked down and talked to Mark (the guy with the Red and White striped Rally Mustang) about his modifications and what i need for my car to make it rally worthy.

So here's what I got. 1985 Mustang Fox. 2000 GT 8.8 Rear w/ 3.73 Gears and Ford Racing Axles(paid $500.00 out of a wrecked car), a front suspension from a 2006 GT mustang with 6-8k (paid 200). Has anyone even looked at fitting the newer front suspensions to the fox bodies? I work at a Hot Rod Shop here in Texas where we swap C4 C5 and C6 Corvette Suspensions and Drive lines on to and into different cars, and manufacture entire frames from the ground up. So I have some fab experience, access to the equipment to pull it off and the boss is going to let me have a lift and tools for a few weeks in trade for some free overtime. I've read everything on 5 lug conversions and know about the sn95 swaps but I'm into everything else for too cheep and I'm building another car right now so all my money sunk into that shoe box so I will make it work. I've never redesigned a strut based front suspension, I understand the concepts and geometry position but I was wondering if someone has tried this before and had some photos for me to look at would make my life a little easer then starting from scratch.

Thanks
R^3
Old 12-27-2007, 02:14 AM
rat_rod_russell

Default RE: 06 Front Struts and Knuckles to a 1985 Fox

No takers or tinkers out there?

R^3
Old 12-27-2007, 02:24 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

way to much work for my taste, but good luck its going to be a doozy!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:22 AM
88sirneedsalot
1st Gear Member

i think it would be easyer and worth it to get the spindle assembllys of or late model restoration and the kit with ball joints thatthey sell for them and just use that and udgrade brakes.
easyer and cheaper...
the 05 and up arntbased thefox chasis like the previous years so i dont thing it would be easyest thing to do but iam sure its possible.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:24 PM
rat_rod_russell

Because of the Rally / Off Road nature of the car what I have seen and was suggested to do was run the stock spring after cutting 1 coil then use a coil over shock with a helper spring kinda like an overload spring on a truck so under hard impact the second spring will stop the car from bottoming out so hard. The later models have the shock moved to the out side So I was planing no taking advantage of this. then of course upper strut mounts spreader bar and a roll cage for extra support. It's just like a set of double springs on a rocker arm theres a softer bigger spring to hold the valve closed then as the cam lobe gets more aggressive the second heaver spring kicks in and helps slam the valve back to where it needs to be when the time comes, Same concept but instead of the cam pushing its the ground with car coming down on it and the spring keeps th bottom of the car from getting riped out, or something simple like a smashed brake line or fuel line. With the Fox you can take advantage of the fact that the force will then be spread out to the bottom of the sub frame as well as the strut tower. Thats what I was hoping to accomplish without spending 4-500 on struts. and get the killer huge brakes from their front as well.

R^3