5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

oil leak.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:40 AM
whatsamatteru

Default oil leak.

OK... Yes I'm the new guy...

Here's the deal. I bought this car last night. I looked at it twice under it over it etc. I new it had an oil leak which was part of the negociation when it came to price. The car runs great! No mods what so ever, it'sbone stock and tight other then minor small cosmetic issues and the obvious oil leak.

When your crusing at 65-70 on the fwy you don't smell it on the cats, but if you romp on it it's consistant and excessive.I know it's leaking either way it just becomes noticeable and pronounced under harder driving. There's quite a build up of guck on the oil pan, but it seems to be more from the rear then front. like it's running down from the rear and then dropping onto the pipes and blowing back.

I can't see past the plenum at the rear, so I can't tell if it's running down from the top or if it's isolated from the oil pan it's self. but like I said it's more pronounced when your on it then at normal driving. I'm not familliar with the 5.0. So I'm not really sure where any problem areas are, or what I should be looking for and where.

Top side ofEngine is retelitively clean, nothing running downfrom the valve covers onto headers etc.So I thought I'd ask you guys where I should look so I can make an educated evaluation and fix the "problem". I hate chasing my tail and don't really want to replace a bunch of stuff and still not fix the problem.

I appreciate you're imput and would be greatful for any help.

Thanks!
Frank
Old 03-09-2008, 11:57 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: oil leak.

Well it's either coming from the back of the intake or the rear main seal. Also look to see if the pcv system is in working order. The pcv vale is locatied at the back of the intake. Kinda hard to see/reach, but you can get to it. make sure the rubber grommet and the screen under the grommet are clean and free of build up. The valve should also be free of build up and should fit snug in the rubber grommet. HERE'S what the valve, screen and grommet look like
Old 03-09-2008, 02:27 PM
whatsamatteru

Hello:
Thank you for the reply and the info, I'll look at the PCV valve and check it out.

Would the pan gasket itself give this kind of problem?

I can see the top center of the bellhousing it's clean, but obviously I can't see the sides/corners. if it were the rear main wouldn'tthe clutch be slipping? I'm not getting that... it's solid no odors of disc and oil, or slippage. one more question... is the rear main a one piece or the old school 2 pieceblock and cap?

I really appreciate your help!!!
Thanks!
Old 03-09-2008, 02:41 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

it could also be coming from the rear main seal. that is actually a very common place for the oil to leak from. how many miles on the car and do you have any pictures of her?
Old 03-09-2008, 04:05 PM
whatsamatteru

The car has a little over 84k No pix of her yet... I just bought the car and drove her homelast nightnever drove one before... it's a very cool car! a little different then my 1988 GTA Trans Am. But I like the 5 spd and the car really is a survivor so it was a plus all the way. soon as I get the chance I shoot some pix and upload em so you can check it out.

Is that rear main a1 piece, or 2 piece?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2008, 06:34 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

It's a one piece.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:45 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

clean it all down and install dye in the oil sytem and with a uv light look for the trace dye for source of oil leak
Old 03-09-2008, 07:18 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

that happened to my first gt. the damn oil pan gasket sqeezed out and started leaking like a sive. boy was that fun to change!
Old 03-09-2008, 09:08 PM
whatsamatteru

Hey you guys don't mess around do ya! The responce here has been great and so far I have 3 solid areas to look at.

I'm happy to hear it's a one piece rear main seal... that helps allot if that's the issue!

I will be de-greasing thethe Engine bay and underside before I get to it. Freakin HATE greasy messes under the hood and underside of a car... just a personal loathing, if you can clean the top then you can clean the bottom. Dye and a UV light. hmmm... I heard of that. I'll have to get with my Nephew for that one he works in a shop and has access to all that stuff.

Hey thank you all again for your help!