5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how much E.T are pulleys worth

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 01:47 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: how much E.T are pulleys worth

ORIGINAL: roundman

ORIGINAL: vfast

1-2 tenths...that pulley does the most not the alt or the W/P pulleys..good choice
Yes, but if he don't increase the size of the water pump and alternator pulleys, then he ain't really going to be "underdriving" them, will he???? LOL
Yes, I will be still be underdriving them. If my crank pulley was 8 inches and my alt. was 3inches then my ratio was 2.6:1
Changing the crank to 5.5 inches and keeping the alt. the same results in a ratio of 1.8:1. I don't the ratio of the water pump because I didn't figure that one out.
If I was also to increase to alt. pulley, then that would have dropped my ratio to 1.3:1, which I thought would be too low a ratio and have charging problems.
That's why a lot of guys complain when they buy these pulleys that their alternator won't chrge enough and they can't keep the engine cool enough at idle......they changed the ratios to radically.
It's all simple math...divide the driven pulley(alt.) size into the driving pulley size(crank) and you get your ratio.
Try it...plug in different numbers and you will that you only actually need to change the crank pulley.....
Class is dismissed now...for homework, review chapter 1 on simple pulley mechanics and ratios....LOL

Old 04-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: import slayer

ORIGINAL: roundman

ORIGINAL: vfast

1-2 tenths...that pulley does the most not the alt or the W/P pulleys..good choice
Yes, but if he don't increase the size of the water pump and alternator pulleys, then he ain't really going to be "underdriving" them, will he???? LOL
Yes, I will be still be underdriving them. If my crank pulley was 8 inches and my alt. was 3inches then my ratio was 2.6:1
Changing the crank to 5.5 inches and keeping the alt. the same results in a ratio of 1.8:1. I don't the ratio of the water pump because I didn't figure that one out.
If I was also to increase to alt. pulley, then that would have dropped my ratio to 1.3:1, which I thought would be too low a ratio and have charging problems.
That's why a lot of guys complain when they buy these pulleys that their alternator won't chrge enough and they can't keep the engine cool enough at idle......they changed the ratios to radically.
It's all simple math...divide the driven pulley(alt.) size into the driving pulley size(crank) and you get your ratio.
Try it...plug in different numbers and you will that you only actually need to change the crank pulley.....
Class is dismissed now...for homework, review chapter 1 on simple pulley mechanics and ratios....LOL

[sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif]
Old 04-17-2005, 05:30 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

Is there somthing I'm missing here[sm=smiley5.gif]
Old 04-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Predator
2nd Gear Member

I take it this is a math class, because if it was english, you'd get an F
Old 04-17-2005, 07:43 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Predator

Actually, I am good at English. I don't always use commas to seperate my prepositional phrases.
I'd be suprised if anyone else, besides you and I, know what a prepositional phrase is or can actually list all 41 prepositions...LOL
Who cares though? As long as I can read people's sentences, and make sense of it, I'm ok.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:03 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

my head hurts now
Old 04-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: import slayer

ORIGINAL: Predator

Actually, I am good at English. I don't always use commas to seperate my prepositional phrases.
I'd be suprised if anyone else, besides you and I, know what a prepositional phrase is or can actually list all 41 prepositions...LOL
Who cares though? As long as I can read people's sentences, and make sense of it, I'm ok.

E=McHammer?
Old 04-18-2005, 03:52 AM
87 hatch
2nd Gear Member

YOU BUNCH OF BABIES. QUITE CRYING OVER WHOS SMARTER. THIS IS A SITE ABOUT HELPING PEOPLE OUT. RIGHT???
Old 04-18-2005, 04:16 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 87 hatch

YOU BUNCH OF BABIES. QUITE CRYING OVER WHOS SMARTER. THIS IS A SITE ABOUT HELPING PEOPLE OUT. RIGHT???

[sm=shutup.gif]
Old 04-18-2005, 05:07 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 87 hatch

Yep, and sometimes people need help with math and English.
Seems like you need some grammer help too. You mis-spelled quit and should have put an apostrophe between the "o" and "s" in who's.
Now.....you can shut up.