5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mass air question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mass air question

That doesn't mean it was working to optimum performance FYI, here are the two transfer curves from the regular A9L and the X3Z or Cobra MAF.

See that they are virtually the same until ~2.6 vdc, besides...... the "Injector Slope High" scalar, with the MAF transfer curve are two of the main items for A/F control....... if you don't modify/match those....... does the system do wonders?...... have you checked if codes 42/92 show in a KOER self test?

Now..... check how the "MAF calibrated to xx# injectors" work. The transfer curve is transfered down in the scale to "fool" the ECM into "thinking" that less air is flowing into the engine thus, lowering the pulse width of the injectors.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:16 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

There is no 87-04 MAF, they use different connectors and the SN95 ones have flanges. ALSO, the Cobras and GTs used the same MAFs with the same 19lb calibration. That MAF looks just like my stock one, based on the other inaccurate info in that auction i'd guess it's not an 80mm.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:03 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra
ALSO, the Cobras and GTs used the same MAFs with the same 19lb calibration.
For the 94-95 this is true... it is worth mentioning that the 93 Cobra is a completely different meter than anything else on other Mustangs.
Also worth mentioning, is the fact that the Ford MAF meters are not calibrated to an injector size. Which is why a Cobra running 24Lb injectors, and a GT running 19Lb injectors can both use the same MAF meter...

That MAF looks just like my stock one, based on the other inaccurate info in that auction i'd guess it's not an 80mm.
I agree 100%!!!
This guy finds junk yard meters and sells them as being universal.

Crap, I should get into this!
I can get meters at my local yard for ~$18, IIRC.
Sell them for $85 + shipping = BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 04-19-2008, 05:39 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dudeboy

For the 94-95 this is true... it is worth mentioning that the 93 Cobra is a completely different meter than anything else on other Mustangs.
Also worth mentioning, is the fact that the Ford MAF meters are not calibrated to an injector size. Which is why a Cobra running 24Lb injectors, and a GT running 19Lb injectors can both use the same MAF meter...
Yes but he has a '94. If the MAFs aren't calibrated please explain how the Pro-M 75mm MAF calibrated for 19lb injectors had the same calibration as the stock MAF. At any rate the reason the Cobra can run the same MAF as the GT is because the computer is calibrated for 24lb injectors. I have heard the LMAFs aren't calibrated but I've never heard ours werent.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:16 AM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dudeboy

Yes but he has a '94.
I was clarifying because of the confusion that is typical when trying to compare between sn95 and fox Cobra MAF meters...
I can't count how many pm's I've recieved asking for clarification on this topic... so I try to be as specific as possible in the threads I take part in.

If the MAFs aren't calibrated please explain how the Pro-M 75mm MAF calibrated for 19lb injectors had the same calibration as the stock MAF.
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

Here is a general description of what the aftermarket means when they say a meter is 'calibrated' (note the use of parenthesis, as this is not the real meaning of the word...);
The aftermarket company (C&L, ProM, PMAS, ABACO, etc) has skewed the output of the meter to accomodate a larger injector, when used with a SPECIFIC ecu. This is the point of the second graph Joel posted above. The aftermarket companies modify the output of the MAF in order to compensate for an injector size change.

When Ford uses the word Calibrate (note the lack of paranthesis...) they are telling you that the voltage output of the meter will fall within a specified range, for a given airflow. There is no trying to account for injector size, as that can be accomplished easier and more effectively in the ecu settings.

I am still not sure how the ProM 75mm/19Lb MAF has the 'same calibration as the stock MAF'????
and stock for who???

I have heard the LMAFs aren't calibrated but I've never heard ours werent.
NONE of the Ford MAF meters are 'calibrated' to an injector size... All of the Ford MAF meters are Calibrated to produce a specified voltage output per unit of mass airflow.

The 90mm LMAF, your 70mm F2VF MAF, the Fox 55mm F1ZF MAF, etc...
are NOT 'calibrated' for injector size.
They are only Calibrated to produce an output, based on an input.
The aftermarket has damaged the integrity of the word CALIBRATION.

Hope that makes a little more sense now,
jason