5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Torque Converter question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 05:07 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

Default Torque Converter question

I bought a 2800-3200 stall converter to go in my C4 from ACC performance converters (aka: Alabama converters). It worked great for about 20 miles and I was loving it! Then it started giving fits. The trans was doing all kinds of weird things, such as not wanting to pull good, not shifting right, and it was spitting fluid out of the vent hole (weird right). The trans was not too full, so this was not a problem. We rebuilt the entire trans at our repair shop, and flushed everything out, and put it back it. It worked for about 4 miles, but still didn't feel right. It finally just quit. It wouldn't pull itself at all, and was again pissing fluid. I could jack up the rear tires and put it in gear, and it would spin them in both forward and reverse, and would shift gears. I pulled the pan off, and it was FULL of metal shavings. Right then I went ahead and pulled the trans out and tore it down. We found absolutely nothing wrong with the internals of the tranny, so the shavings are not from it. They can only be from one place, the converter. When I dumped the fluid out of it, you should have seen the crap that was in the fluid! It was really bad, still red, but smelled horrible too. The converter is under warranty, and I will have a replacement one on Monday, but I am wondering what caused the problem. The rear gear is like a 2.70 or 3.00, which is high, but with no overdrive, I really don't want to put in anything lower. Coould this have caused the problem??? Any other suggestions???
Old 05-09-2008, 06:38 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Torque Converter question

i take it you reused the converter when you rebuilt the trans? this may have been the root of all your problems. that converter should work really well with your combo. the whole purpose of a higher stall converter is for a better launch so your rear gear shouldnt have anything to do with it. sounds like you got a bad converter and it kept self destructing. sucks though. ive already had a bad one from b+m transmissions and leaked like hell when i started it, they did send me another one no questions asked, hope you get the same treatment. good luck
Old 05-09-2008, 06:52 PM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, the company gave me all the tips they could, and they have been really helpful and cooperative. They even sent the replacement converter out to me before they got the old one, free of charge. I did reused the converter when we rebuilt it, but we put it on a flush machine to be sure it didn't have any contaminants. The converter works awesome (when it worked). It is perfect fo the cam, and I was extremely happy with it. Now maybe I can just get it back together quickly and actually be able to drive it!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:59 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

just remember if you have a trans cooler flush that too cause theres gonna be trash in there too and the cooler lines.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:50 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

gears play a huge part in the stall speed...

it happens, converters burn up, blow up, chew up, when they replace them asap at no charge, makes the whole situation better lol

i had a 3500, burnt up after 400 miles, the new one only stalls to 2500, it doesnt even have that "slip" feel when u are trying to get up to speed its garbage
Old 05-10-2008, 10:51 AM
tyler72
3rd Gear Member

If my new one does this (doesn't stll high enough) ill have to snd it back again because I don't want a dead bottom like I had with the TCI converter that I had. its a 2000 stall, and quite frankly, its not any better than a stock converter. It just sucks. So final drive gear ratio shouldn't effect how long a converter lasts? correct? oh and by the way, it is a 3.00, not a 2.70 ratio.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:53 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

gear ratio determines how high it stalls, well has an effect but many other factors are in there also.