5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 04:40 PM
sem76
1st Gear Member

Default Help please!

I tried to start my car this morning but nothing. It has power cause I heard my fuel pump turn on and lights worked. No clicking sound what so ever when tuning car over. Complete silence. It's almost likeit hasno spark but I haven't checked it yet. Waiting to see if my friend can come over after he gets out of work. He's somewhat of a mechanic. But I wanted to some ideas before he does or if he does. Any thoughts?

Oh and I just got my BBK x pipe in today, figures huh?
Old 06-12-2008, 05:06 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Help please!

This is tough to diagnose on a forum, as it can be a multitude of things. Are you saying the starter wont turn over?. If so, Iusually start with my volt meter, and if I have power to the solenoid from the battery, I have some one try and crank it while taking a reading on the starter side of the solenoid, if no power there, next check is the wire on the solenoid coming from the ignition switch. It could be starter related, solenoid related or ignition switch related. You really need to get familiar with a test light or volt meter. It will make diagnosing these types of problems much easier, and it's really pretty easy. Good luck
Old 06-12-2008, 05:12 PM
sem76
1st Gear Member

I'm hoping my friend comes over cause he has those tools. Ya I know it's tough to figure out on forums lol. I replaced starter solenoid a couple months ago. But yes starter doesn't turn over as if there is no power to the car at all. I tired to get some info from forums by search button but doesn't work for some reason.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:38 AM
sem76
1st Gear Member

Well last night I tried to figure it out the problem by myself cause my mechanicfriend had to go away for the weekend. I tried doing the ol screwdriver trick to bypass the starter solenoid and it started right up. I don't know where the ignition switch is so I jumped the gun and spent 20 bucks toreplace the starter solenoid and still nothing. There is what looks like a switch attatched to the startersolenoid but I didn't know what it was for so I put an universal one in for like 3 bucks so it wasn't a big deal and still nothing. Can anyone post a picture of a diagram of what I need to look at now?
Old 06-14-2008, 04:49 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

I've never changed an ignition switchon a mustang, before you go tearing into the ignition switch, I'd get a cheap test light (less than $10 at any auto parts store), and see if you have voltage going to the small wires that plug into the solenoid, when the key is held in the start position. If your not getting voltage there, then it's possible the ignition switch is bad.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:12 PM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

dont feel bad man got the same thing with my 88 gt have replaced the the ignition switch and starter solenoid
Old 06-15-2008, 08:15 AM
sem76
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1988TTOP

dont feel bad man got the same thing with my 88 gt have replaced the the ignition switch and starter solenoid
So you ever figure it out? I've got power at startersolenoid. How do you check the ignition switch? I mean I don't know where it's located.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:47 AM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

it is under the key i dont know how the test it i just replaced it they are 10 bucks at auto zone and easy to replace i still anit figured it out