5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

bucks/rocks itself ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 01:38 PM
90blackstang

Default bucks/rocks itself ???

If am at 2 rpm and I let off the gas when they start going down it starts rocking and when it gets to 1 it stops rocking ? Thanks in advance
Old 06-30-2008, 02:06 PM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

Default RE: bucks/rocks itself ???

i havnt seen anyone with a good answe for this on this forum.

I replaced my motor and driveshaft and i still have this issue so MY guess is that the problem lies in the tranny (like the input shaft or something) or the rear end.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:25 PM
90blackstang

Its annoying specially in parking lotts
Old 06-30-2008, 05:12 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

what do you mean by rocking? The shifter, engine, or car rocking?

Does it do it in every gear?

Sure your flywheel/balancer is the correct weight (aka been replaced & chance you or someone got the wrong weight)
Old 06-30-2008, 09:56 PM
90blackstang

The whole car rocks it self while rpms are going down... its only at low speeds and I always experience them in 2nd gear...
Old 07-03-2008, 05:38 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

New one to me. Sounds transmission related though.
Do you know if that transmission is the stock one?
Also, have you ever replaced the pilot bearing/throwout bearing?

If it is transmission related it sounds to me like it's going to be something that holds the input shaft like the pilot shaft or throwout bearing being bad.

Does the engine still sound normal during that?

Reason i'm asking about the transmission being stock is a friend of mine had a similar problem with his car, but yours sounds a little worse. He had a '94-95 transmission with an 87-93 bellhousing. The input shaft on the '94-'95 is a bit longer & because of that it chewed up his pilot bearing then it started to do something similar to yours at around 1500rpm.

Sometime when you have a free day, you could jack up the car, drop the cross member, then back the transmission off of the engine & try to wiggle the input shaft. Will also give you a chance to check out the pilot bearing.

It's kind of a long shot as this sounds a little different from his situation, but I would start off there since you won't have to replace anything, it's just a pull apart, inspect, put back together thing. Make sure you put a plug in the back of the transmission so you don't leak fluid though or you could try just leaving the driveshaft yolk still in the back of the trans.

I don't really like suggesting something if i'm not at least 80% sure it's the problem, but seems you're not getting much input. I'm about 40% sure it's going to be input shaft related so like i said... long shot.
Hope this helps....

If you don't mind... if you look at it & find out, let me know what the problem was pm or post on this thread. If everything is ok there i'll see if I can't help you figure out what it is. I figured start here first since it's rpm related & obviously a zero or near zero engine load situation.

Also, any noises coming from anywhere? grinding/screeching/anything?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:33 PM
90blackstang

Its the stock tranny. Yesterday I posted chirping coming from tranny. Sometimes when I hold the clutch u could hear chattering under the car .. Also when I come to a stop sometimes the gear doesn't wanna go in . ??? Any ideas