5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Quad shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 09:44 PM
ExMan01

Default Quad shocks?

I just swapped in an 88 thunderbird turbo coupe rear end with disc brakes, badass....but the quad shock mounts on the t-bird rear end are about 3-4 inches higher than the stangs old one. can i just run it without the quad shocks, or are they needed? i'm not even sure what they're for. i'm thinking they're to prevent axle wrap, is this right? if it is couldn't you just put a hard linkage in it's place? anyways, i got the rear end for 200 and it was so easy. it has 3.55 gears and of course the disc brakes, planning on doing a master cylinder swap and installing a proportioning valve. got any recommendations?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:48 PM
86whitepony
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Quad shocks?

get some rear lower control arms and dump the quad shocks
Old 07-23-2008, 09:49 PM
ExMan01

do the control arms go in the same location as the quad shocks, and will i be okay driving it without them until i get the control arms
Old 07-23-2008, 09:56 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ExMan01

do the control arms go in the same location as the quad shocks, and will i be okay driving it without them until i get the control arms
dam

Old 07-23-2008, 10:36 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

you dont need the quad shocks, just get a set of aftermarket control arms.

and if you think you can put a hard linkage where the quad shocks used to be... you have no business doing ANY kind of suspension work
Old 07-23-2008, 11:51 PM
big ben
2nd Gear Member

dont take the quad shocks off i did and the first time i tryed to spin the tire a lil i almost lost my teeth i never felt wheel hop so violent so i put them back on and problem solved i too didnt think it would make a big difference. what is it hitting or do the shocks not fit anymore?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:06 AM
ExMan01

are there lower and upper control arms or just upper? To learn adder, you have to ask questions or by trial and error, and i prefer to ask a bunch of guys that have done this before and know what works and what doesn't. anyways, i've been going easy since the swap. i know i can drill new holes in the new rearend's quad shock mounts to remount them but if i can put new control arms to alleviate the problem i'd rather do that. any recommendations on control arms, i'm kind of broke since the swap.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:29 AM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

control arms just replace the ones you have now. the quad shock would be removed and the mounting point left unused. ppl like using ford racing upper and UPR lower. i have BBK boxed upper and lower and i am happy with them
Old 07-24-2008, 09:35 AM
ExMan01

i was just looking at the tubular upper and lower on 50 resto and they're only 154.95, i'm probably gonna go with those. u know without a proportioning valve and master cylinder upgrade, the brakes work damn good.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:36 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: ExMan01

are there lower and upper control arms or just upper? To learn adder, you have to ask questions or by trial and error, and i prefer to ask a bunch of guys that have done this before and know what works and what doesn't. anyways, i've been going easy since the swap. i know i can drill new holes in the new rearend's quad shock mounts to remount them but if i can put new control arms to alleviate the problem i'd rather do that. any recommendations on control arms, i'm kind of broke since the swap.
asking questions around here will get you nothing but a **** load of bad information. Thats why I never ask anything here.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...ide/index.html

read that and learn something.... lots of good info on that page

Quick Reply: Quad shocks?