5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Timing cover gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:18 AM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Default Timing cover gasket replacement

Okay,[/align][/align]I located the leak and found it to be a leak in the timing cover gasket. So friday me and my friend get to take apart the front of my engine and replace it. I'm 17, he's 16, and neither of us are certified mechanics, but were fairly mechanically inclined and know our way around engine bays fairly well. I've done a good amount of work on my car, just nothin this in depth. lol So I've read everything I can all over the internet about this job and it sounds like a fairly straight forward thing, but it seems like a tricky kinda job too. So can someone give me a good thurough rundown of what to do, or link me to one? So far i've gathered that I have to pull almost all the belt driven accesories, and that I can leave the water pump on the timing cover. the timing cover is sitting on 2 dowel pins with bolts from the oil pan holding them in, and these can be removed to simplify re-installation, however, something happens without them. What i'm not clear on- how to remove harmonic balancer, is it held on by bolts? What all do I need? I know I need a new gasket, but do I need a crank seal or what? What is all that? lol With the expertise level of me and my buddy, if we take our time, is this something we can do with out fubaring my engine? lol I know thats a pretty general question, just curious if this is a job for a master mechanic, or if a couple of mechanically inclined teens can figure it out.[/align]
Old 07-31-2008, 12:20 AM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Timing cover gasket replacement

Should be pretty straight forward, the more you move out of the way, the easier itll be. Are you replacing the timing set while youre at it?
Old 07-31-2008, 12:48 AM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Nope. All that seems to be fine. Only real reason i'm tearin into all of this is to replace the gasket thats causing my major coolant leak.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:04 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

if it hasnt been replaced lately you might want to, its cheap insurance
Old 07-31-2008, 05:34 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

It is a straight forward job. I would replace the timing set while you are there. You need a harmonic balancer puller and can pick one up from the part store. I got mine for $17 from advance. Don't try and pry the edges of it bc you can crack your timing cover or screw up the rubber ring that the outter half of the balancer sits on. There is a woodruff key that holds the balancer in position with the crank. If you buy a timing cover gasket set it should come with a new front main (crank seal). Just take your time when removing the old one and installing the new one. If you have trouble getting the new one in find a socket that is the same size as the seal and use that and a hammer and tap it in slowly. Then make sure you also put some RTV on the bolts that need them when reinstalling the cover. I think there are 2 that are long and protrude into the water jackets so they need new sealant.

Take you time, its an easy job but it can be easily screwed up to! O....and if you have access to air tools it will help greatly when reinstalling the balancer (IF a hammer doesn't do the job) Lube up the crank a little and line up the key and the slot on the balancer and tap it on with a hammer and when you know they are lined up install the crank bolt and hit it with the impact a little to push it all the way on.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:13 AM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Also about 30 min before you start on the job hit all the bolts/nuts with some PB.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:49 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ewgoetz
Also about 30 min before you start on the job hit all the bolts/nuts with some PB.
x2
That's the biggest problem i've ever had. It's fairly simple to do, but usually the bolts are rusted & incredibly hard to get out without breaking.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:41 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

if you take out the alignment dowels you just need to try and make sure the balancer is centered in the front seal or you will have premature seal failure.

definately replace the chain while your in there, a good cloyes double roller is like 35.00 and i can promise you the 22 year old chain you have in there now is sloppy.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:48 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

dont overtorque the bolts

and u prob gunna need heat to get some of the accessory bolts off
Old 08-01-2008, 03:14 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Well, we've gotten everything apart up until the H/B. We really took our time, and we didn't have a 15/16 socket so we just called it a night. Gonna continue tmrw.