5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Dont know what to do need help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 AM
MuGeN

Default Dont know what to do need help!

Ok first sorry for my english i only speak french all the time here in Quebec. I want to do a efi to carb swap and hesitate to do it but dont know why. I want to do that cause is an easy way to get power without changing 3 parts on efi to have the same difference by changing 1 part in a carb engine. But still hesitate to do it. The fuel economy and dont really car cause its not a daily driving car. I take the car maybe 1 or 2 days by week just for cruising or sometimes go to the drag. Tells me what you think about that. Thx guys!

Mike
Old 08-11-2008, 09:00 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Dont know what to do need help!

EFI isnt as bad as you think. Just plan out what you want to do, and buy everything ONCE
Old 08-15-2008, 10:18 PM
MuGeN

A bit expensive for the same performance of a carburator no?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:03 PM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

That depends on how you look at the cost. A carb will cost you about $150. A decent carb will cost you about $300. A great carb will cost you $350+. The dollar figures might be off a tad since I haven't worked, nor looked at carbs in a few years. If you decide to buy a Holley carb and NOT dyno tune the car, your going to spend a good bit of money AND time tuning it. If you dyno tune the car, which I highly recommend for a myriad of reasons, You'll save a ton of time, and run you about $300. I'm pretty picky with engine performance. If I feel ANYTHING out of the "norm," I'll fix it. When I had carbs, I was always messing with them. Not to mention the fact that you should probably rebuild them at least once every 2 years. I rebuilt mine annually.

EFI, on the other hand, is install and go. Turn the key and all fuel curves are taken care of. If it gets cold, it adjusts (and starts) all the time. If you go into the mountains it doesn't go rich on you, lose power, and act miserable, it adjusts. It doesn't need to be rebuilt, just fed with good/clean fuel. It also reacts better, with no need for change, to performance add ons. Winner, hands down for street driven, occasional drags kind of cars. If it wasn't, you wouldn't see all these Resto-mods coming about. Fuel injection is the way to go.

I'm certain that if you look around, you'll find everything you need in a very short time, for less that you would pay for a decent carb and a dyno tune. Not to mention that it will pay for itself, over time, in fuel savings. Just my .02.