5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

the only 2 i can think of off the top of my head is hellion and quick time turbo systems. i dont know much about them but ive heard both are good and that hellion is a bit pricey.

what year is your car by the way i was just assuming it was a fox cause your in the 5.0 section but there are alot of us sn95ers kicking around here.

theres also a boost section on this site if you didnt know(you probably do but your fairly new so i thought id throw that out there just in case) were theres lots of people with first hand experience
Old 09-11-2008, 07:59 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Pony down kits are made by BG turbos they are good kits and so are the BG kits. I dont know about the Hellion stuff I have not heard anything to bad. Starting to read stuff about Quick time and delivery problems on there stuff. HP I seen is also having problems. I would say go with the BG kit or Pony down I know the BG kits have a life time warranty on not cracking. I have a Cartech Outlaw kit and so far so good with mine. but I have seen good and bad about them also.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:02 PM
stang_krazy

Originally Posted by nseoi
what he means is that there is no parasitic drain on the crank with a turbo because it is driven by the exhaust, as opposed to the supercharger that is driven by a crank belt, like the rest of the accessories
thanks for the clarification
Old 09-12-2008, 01:36 AM
One Bad MOFO
2nd Gear Member

I have a ponydown kit and haven't had any real problems with it at all other than that you have to cut a few things to make it fit.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:45 AM
Kasavage
1st Gear Member

Milton, I have a 87 mustang with a 93 cobra swap. I also know about the boost sub forum, but right now I'm out to sea and the internet is shakey so I take what I can get. I appreciate all the help guys. Looks like I'm going to go with either the Vortech Cobra supercharger or a Pony down kit. In about a month I should have the kit and be ready to install.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:34 AM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

not to interfer, but did anyone see that sep.2007 issue of hot rod were the guy built a homemade twin turbo set up on a fox with T3/T4 turbos. if you dont know what those are there actually turbos off JD bulldozers and Backhoes. it was a pretty cool set up, ugly but it woked, he was pushin like 460 hp and 505 lb-ft.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:35 AM
hayden
2nd Gear Member

I'm am also going to be going turbo soon...
I've been looking at this treadstone kit and it seems to be a nicely made kit from what i can tell and its pretty reasonably priced!!

Here's a link if you wanna check it out!

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...1&phot_key=226
Old 09-12-2008, 11:35 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by calfroper_06
not to interfer, but did anyone see that sep.2007 issue of hot rod were the guy built a homemade twin turbo set up on a fox with T3/T4 turbos. if you dont know what those are there actually turbos off JD bulldozers and Backhoes. it was a pretty cool set up, ugly but it woked, he was pushin like 460 hp and 505 lb-ft.
t3/t4 aren't just heavy equipment turbos. There are quite a few other than those. Most diesel turbos aren't too efficient on gasoline engines. Their compressors tend to be more efficient in higher pressure ratios. Generally they will have a pretty large a/r with a smaller trim on exhaust side aswell. Either way they will work; just some times not the most efficient thing to choose. The garrett .60/.48 t3's from svo's, capri rs's, & some tbird turbocoupes will work well on a stock & mildly modified 5.0 the .60/.63's will work aswell, but are more toward higher rpm, they work well with heavily modified 5.0's & mildly modified 351's. Grand national turbos work well too if you can find two for a twin setup.

As far as the s/c vs turbo. I would say a positive displacement supercharger over turbo for a daily driven car. There are no roots kits available for the 5.0 & I believe only one company that offers the twin screw kit. They make a far more fun car to drive imo & more reliable. The turbo will make the faster car, but the positive displacement s/c will feel faster at similar boost levels.
Reliability isn't that bad of an issue to me due to most journal bearing turbos being fairly easy & pretty cheap to rebuild, but some people prefer not to do the work. They'll last fairly long if you take care of them though; letting the engine get to operating temp before getting on it, letting it cool down before shutting the car off, & oil change intervals on time aswell as air filter changes on time. But you have to look at the company aswell, poorly designed headers will crack due to the heat & weight of the turbo.

I personally prefer turbos, only because i prefer to have the faster car in a race. If I were building a quick daily driver with a/c, power windows/locks, radio with gas mileage in mind, then I'd go with a roots. If i were building a light, fast car i'd go with the turbo.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:22 AM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FoxGT
t3/t4 aren't just heavy equipment turbos. There are quite a few other than those. Most diesel turbos aren't too efficient on gasoline engines. Their compressors tend to be more efficient in higher pressure ratios. Generally they will have a pretty large a/r with a smaller trim on exhaust side aswell. Either way they will work; just some times not the most efficient thing to choose. The garrett .60/.48 t3's from svo's, capri rs's, & some tbird turbocoupes will work well on a stock & mildly modified 5.0 the .60/.63's will work aswell, but are more toward higher rpm, they work well with heavily modified 5.0's & mildly modified 351's. Grand national turbos work well too if you can find two for a twin setup.

As far as the s/c vs turbo. I would say a positive displacement supercharger over turbo for a daily driven car. There are no roots kits available for the 5.0 & I believe only one company that offers the twin screw kit. They make a far more fun car to drive imo & more reliable. The turbo will make the faster car, but the positive displacement s/c will feel faster at similar boost levels.
Reliability isn't that bad of an issue to me due to most journal bearing turbos being fairly easy & pretty cheap to rebuild, but some people prefer not to do the work. They'll last fairly long if you take care of them though; letting the engine get to operating temp before getting on it, letting it cool down before shutting the car off, & oil change intervals on time aswell as air filter changes on time. But you have to look at the company aswell, poorly designed headers will crack due to the heat & weight of the turbo.

I personally prefer turbos, only because i prefer to have the faster car in a race. If I were building a quick daily driver with a/c, power windows/locks, radio with gas mileage in mind, then I'd go with a roots. If i were building a light, fast car i'd go with the turbo.
my bad, my bad, but i was just sayin the setup was pretty neat.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:45 AM
1988GTstang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hayden
I'm am also going to be going turbo soon...
I've been looking at this treadstone kit and it seems to be a nicely made kit from what i can tell and its pretty reasonably priced!!

Here's a link if you wanna check it out!

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...1&phot_key=226

ive been lookin at that same kit 2

Quick Reply: Turbo?