5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Clutch pedal real heavy

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:22 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

you can have a firewall adjuster or an adjustable cable they both do the same thing, a firewall adjuster is just more convieniet. I woundnt recommend the adjustable cable becuase they are weaker then OEM and with time the cable starts lossening up, especially a single nut application like above.

oh and adjusting the cable will do nothing for that heavy clutch pedal, adjusting the cable just shifts the point of engaging
Old 10-15-2008, 10:31 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ohhhhhh so i do have an aftermarket cable....guess ill have to switch that out. dont want any snapping cables.

so do you think if he went with the triple hook design and switch the fulcrum point that'd change the pedal effort?
Old 10-15-2008, 10:41 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

the triple hook from UPR is simply to get around Steedas patent on its double hook design and the third hook should not be used, the hook closest to the firewall(when installed) should be used for stock cables and the second for adjustable cables
Old 10-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh

yea this is what mine looks like and you can thread that bolt through and take up slack or make slack in the line
Ok, is this your car? I'm afraid we are going to have to fine you for having your tranny too clean. License and registration please.

I thought you were talking about adjusting the actual fork itself, thereby somehow gaining more leverage, not adjusting the cable end. I have the Maximum Motorsports cable and adjuster set, and so far it's a great cable. +1 on the aftermarket clutch cables sucking ***. My King Cobra has ruined three aftermarket adjustable cables in 35,000 miles. The MM one comes highly reccommended, and although the jury is still out, so far it's working out well. When I get my motor, that King cobra is going to be beaten with a sledge hammer and melted in a furnace. LOL! I think a Centerforce will give a softer pedal feel.

Last edited by Project 5.GO!; 10-15-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:45 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i have centerforce DF and no that isnt my tranny but i've cleaned some of it and it will be sand blasted and painted when i remove it soon for a rebuild.

i just have to make sure im 100% health wise before i undertake removing the tranny. thats a lot of moving in a small space for me. if you didnt read about it i had a hernia fixed recently.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

i have centerforce DF and no that isnt my tranny but i've cleaned some of it and it will be sand blasted and painted when i remove it soon for a rebuild.

i just have to make sure im 100% health wise before i undertake removing the tranny. thats a lot of moving in a small space for me. if you didnt read about it i had a hernia fixed recently.
What does one of those puppies weigh? Could you remove it without crushing yourself, and is it fairly easy to remove, or do you need special tools and jacks?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:18 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

yea this is what mine looks like and you can thread that bolt through and take up slack or make slack in the line
Isn't that called "adjusting the clutch cable"?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:27 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 86 5.0L

oh and adjusting the cable will do nothing for that heavy clutch pedal, adjusting the cable just shifts the point of engaging

Really? When my cable was stiff, I replaced it and the clutch was less stiff. The more I adjusted it, the softer it became. Unless there's something wrong with my clutch and cable.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Boys I'm not so sure FivePointOhh knows what he is talking about! ...take that with a grain of salt....I've seen his mis-leading post

Sounds like a FRPP Cobra clutch or a clutch that's just about done!
Old 10-15-2008, 01:31 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

tim, i do apologise for any misleading information i give and i do encourage if i am wrong for ANYONE to correct me if im wrong. i did put a disclaimer in earlier in this post this im not super familiar with.

as for other posts, there is some stuff im concrete about and some stuff is IMBO. im not a mechanic by trade, this is a hobby like most people in here.

also if you notice in here some of my posts are actual questions for more imput on something i dont quite understand. i do appreciate your imput as well and correction if im wrong. but dont bash me, correct me. im here to educate on what i know and get educated on what i dont know.

thank ahead of time.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal real heavy