5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

MAF/Injector size difference

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:59 PM
WhiteLightning00

I'll have another roommate (in college) and a $2 raise per hour where I work...that's how I was hoping I could afford it later. I was hoping I could use the adjustable fuel pressure regulator and bump the fuel pressure up enough to compensate for the lower injectors. I won't be pushing a whole lot of boost. Do you think that will work with the adjustable fuel pressure? Thanks for your input.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:31 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Seriously, you do NOT want to **** around with twin turbo or any serious HP without a tune. And you sure the hell don't want to do it with a mismatched injector / MAF combo. Adjusting fuel pressure can only get you so far. That pretty much stops being useful when you get into any semi-decent numbers. This is going to cost you more money in the end if you don't do it right the first time. I'm not trying to be an ***... I'm trying to save you some time, money, and heartache.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:36 PM
WhiteLightning00

I understand what you're saying and understand about the mismatched maf/injectors with turbos, I know that's not a good idea. I'm just looking for a maf that can get me by while my car is n/a right now, and after I get the turbos put on I will get a tune very shortly afterwards. I'm just wondering as long as my car is n/a should the maf work for right now?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:10 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Seriously, stop trying to 'get by' right NOW.

With twins, you will F things up in a heartbeat.

You will need a custom tune (via the J3 port) with the turbos. If you are going to tune it yourself, then NOW is the time to buy a tweecer/moates/PMS setup.
Learn how to use it while you are still n/a

Tweecer and Moates will allow you to run 'mismatched' MAF/Injector setups properly.

If you aren't going to tune it yourself, then buy the right parts for your current setup, or don't drive the car!!!!!!!!

From the content of your current posts though, you have a long ways to go before you will be comfortable with any of these tuners. (please don't take that as rude or condescending)

Stop driving the car with the MAF unplugged....
Old 11-17-2008, 10:44 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteLightning00
I understand what you're saying and understand about the mismatched maf/injectors with turbos, I know that's not a good idea. I'm just looking for a maf that can get me by while my car is n/a right now, and after I get the turbos put on I will get a tune very shortly afterwards. I'm just wondering as long as my car is n/a should the maf work for right now?

the fact that you keep asking despite everyone telling you not to do it tells me that you plan to do anyways and your just looking for reasurance that itll be ok to do. i wouldnt rely on fuel pressure to tune your car. the fuel pump can only handle so much fuel flow at high psi and high rpm. without a wideband your just guessing. why run lean and burn up your pistons or wash the rings by running rich when the only justification you have for doing so is to save $100 in the future. you bought the wrong size injector on a whim, it was a bad decision, dont make another bad decision because you want to make up for the first one

you said you got a good deal on those injectors well sell them at the same price or maybe a little higher price. use the money you make to buy the correct parts
Old 11-17-2008, 11:19 PM
WhiteLightning00

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
the fact that you keep asking despite everyone telling you not to do it tells me that you plan to do anyways and your just looking for reasurance that itll be ok to do. i wouldnt rely on fuel pressure to tune your car. the fuel pump can only handle so much fuel flow at high psi and high rpm. without a wideband your just guessing. why run lean and burn up your pistons or wash the rings by running rich when the only justification you have for doing so is to save $100 in the future. you bought the wrong size injector on a whim, it was a bad decision, dont make another bad decision because you want to make up for the first one

you said you got a good deal on those injectors well sell them at the same price or maybe a little higher price. use the money you make to buy the correct parts

Ya'll have pretty much convinced me....I've been looking at 42# injectors and mafs for them for the past hour and a half. Yea I was looking for that little bit of reassurance that it was gonna be ok, but I got the other part. Looks like I'm going to be selling some 38s and finding some 42s and matching maf. Thanks for the advice guys.