5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Finally got a video! Help diagnose problem...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:22 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by cammedlx
You don't want to get oil of anytype on the belt or the pullies..If anything use a scotchbrite and 100% silicone spray..
heck for troubleshooting purposes penetrating oil will work fine, cause if it is the belt, it's gonna get replaced anyway and if it isn't a quick shot of brake clean while it runs will clean it all off, anyway just do as AODE stated and remove belt to see if noise goes away
Old 11-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Kasavage
1st Gear Member

I did run the engine with the belt off. The sound only comes when you accelerate now. The pedal it self not even close to WOT when you push it down, any ideas on that? I'll try and burp the coolant system but as of right now like I said everything is full and ready to go.The engine sounds great and I want to drive it, need to have it fixed by tomorrow or else it will have to wait a few weeks.

EDIT: Another update, now when I run the car I have white smoke coming out my exhaust pipes now. I'm guessing I'm burning off oil.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if you have an engine stephascope you can pinpoint the location of the noise and see if it is coming from under the valve covers which would indicate a rocker/ collapsed lifter issue
Old 11-25-2008, 10:06 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Sounds like it may be a dry rocker. Did you lubricate the rockers and pushrods during assembly? As for the white smoke I need more information. Did you purge the cooling system? How long has it run since the swap? Did you properly torque the heads with clean and lightly lubricated threads? Is the car a auto or manual?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:40 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

check your headers for leaks
Old 11-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Kasavage
1st Gear Member

Rockers where lubed up good. Head bolts properly torqued and set with lock tight. So on my list of things to do today I have to figure what is wrong with my pedal, burp the cooling system, and check the exhaust. I'll let you know if I make any progress.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:57 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Did you install the head gaskets right side up?
Old 11-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Kasavage
1st Gear Member

Everything was installed properly. Right now I fixed the cooling problem. However, I have white smoke coming out of the exhaust. The car is cooling now though. I have an exhaust leak but that is not a big deal. Now, my exhaust has white smoke coming out the exhaust, coolant or oil?
Old 11-26-2008, 01:25 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kasavage
Everything was installed properly. Right now I fixed the cooling problem. However, I have white smoke coming out of the exhaust. The car is cooling now though. I have an exhaust leak but that is not a big deal. Now, my exhaust has white smoke coming out the exhaust, coolant or oil?
sounds like coolant thats why I was asking about the head gasket. How long has the engine ran since the swap?

Last edited by FORD TOUGH; 11-26-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Kasavage
1st Gear Member

It hasn't actually ran right since the swap. I guess I'll have to take the heads off again and replace the gaskets. Too bad that is going to have to wait until I get back next month.

Quick Reply: Finally got a video! Help diagnose problem...