5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1994 Mustang GT OVERHEATING?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by BAMA STANG
.THEY SAY A 180 MAKES THE WATER CIRCULATE TOO MUCH KEEPS A OPEN SYSTEM WATER WANT COOL AND FAN COMES ON TOO LATE WATER MOVES PASS SENSOR TOO MUCH.
I've been running a 180 stat for over ten years so that assumption ranks high on the..

Last edited by mjr46; 01-15-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:22 AM
BAMA STANG

Originally Posted by mjr46
I've been running a 180 stat for over ten years so that assumption ranks high on the..
SO THE HOSE BEING SO STIFF YOU CAN BARELY SQUEEZE IT IS FINE?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:25 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by BAMA STANG
SO THE HOSE BEING SO STIFF YOU CAN BARELY SQUEEZE IT IS FINE?
it should be firm, is it running hot??
Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 AM
BAMA STANG

Originally Posted by mjr46
it should be firm, is it running hot??
NO ITS NOT RUNNING HOT, NOT BOILING OVER WHEN I STOP, BUT DONT SEEM LIKE THE TEMP GUAGE USE TO MOVE ABOUT SO MUCH.TEMP SENSOR MAYBE BAD.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 PM
MADMAC
2nd Gear Member

I was running into the same trouble with almost overheating. Installed a 180 t-stat and started to flush my system and noticed alot of debris in the bottom of my drain pan. I have kept my coolant changed over the years and it was still a nice clean green. I pulled the stock radiator out and was "flabbergasted" at how thin the core was. I was going to take it to the radiator shop and have them change the seals on the plastic tanks and boil it out. Changed my mind, went out and bought a new Griffin dual core performance radiator. Flushed the engine and put it all together. My problems were solved no more running on the hot side. The only issues I have now is when it stays in the 30s or so, it wants to run too cool while running my heater. Old Fart that doesn't like the cold!!!!

Listen to the information these guys are giving here. It is hard to diag. an issue not having the problem in front of them and not having all the right tools. It could be any one of a given problem or a combination of problem areas. Let us know when ya get it solved. MAC
Old 01-16-2009, 08:34 AM
94MustangGT_302

My overheating all started when I needed to change my water pump soon after I bought the car. I have come to the conclusion that the car had sat a while before I got it. I think when I drained the coolant while changing the water pump I loosened up something and didnt properly flush the system so when I refilled with anti. I would soon start to get clogged somewhere and the motor would start to overheat. I have still yet to flush the system entirely but I did do a process of drain the radiator then refill run the motor drain the radiator refill drain refill.....now It seems to be running a lot better. I think I still have some gunk in there I need to get out and I was told to take the top radiator hose from the radiator off stick a water hose in the radiator filler neck and runn the motor till nothing but clear water is coming out the top hose into a bucket. I havnt tried that but would like to if anyone else recomends it. I also think a similar ordeal is causeing me to have high oil pressure I changed the oil for the first time and soon after I noticed high oil pressure (on the cheap factory normal gauge) I think after that oil change something got lose and possible clogged something still working on this problem cause I havnt had the time. The positive not is I have a new cooling system for the most part lol. As soon as I get the money im buying 2 pod for water temp and oil pressure and maybe getting into my oil system if its not just a bad gauge. I hope that helped everyone I have seen a lot of the same symptoms but different problems by the way so my fix may not fix you but worth a try cause what i finaly did to fix me didnt cost me anything but more anti by the end. If you dont count everything else I replaced.