5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need some help with street engine setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:37 AM
jmh87chpnotch
1st Gear Member

Default Need some help with street engine setup

Well I sold one of my motor cycles to start on my mustang. Thing is that I am looking for something street worth. It will be my daily driver with trips to the drag strip. I have about 8000 to work with. I used to have a camaro with 11.5-1 compression so I am thinking that should be fine for a mustang. My main dilima is I really want a 408 or 418 stroker but I am not sure how well they will do on the street. Things like over heating and parts taking a crap scare me. I am looking for at least 500 hp to the wheels and want it to be able to handle a 200 shot for when I hit the track. My other thought was maybe to just use my engine in the car and make a 347 or 357 stroker. Those make an easy 450+ hp and if built right can take 150+ shot. This is my first mustang so I am just looking for some input on wat way to go and maybe a company to look into where I can get the parts/motor from.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:25 PM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

your main road block is with the power your wanting you may have problems with getting a stock block to hold up.... what kinda mustang do you have fox, sn95, etc.... guessing your ultimate goals are to go fast at the strip.... either way you will need to sacrifice a little either at the track to make the car livable on the street or sacrifice maybe fuel economy and ride quality on the street to make the car faster at the track... basically im asking what are your ultimate goals with the car????
Old 12-15-2008, 12:26 PM
saleenpride1986
2nd Gear Member

Well how many miles are on your block right now? Have you already installed supporting mods for the suspension? Do you have the tires and traction supporting mods? a 347 can get you a pretty mighty street ride that will perform under daily driving as well as on the track.

if your looking for a good motor fordstrokers.com is a great place to go, the owner is also an active member on these forums. Will you be doing all the installations or will you have a shop install it? If you go to a shop that will drop your 8k budget down at least 2k likely more which means less parts for you to get
Old 12-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

First figure out which block you want to use. You dont want to go 11.5-1 on the street. You can build a steetable 408 with no problem. I have a handfull of them out on the street with no problems. 500 hp to the wheels would depend on you drivetrain. With a 408 you want to build torque, build it to turn up to about 6500 rpm and the HP will be there. It's going to take a good set of heads to feed the 408 and get it to 6500 rpm.

If you are worried about parts taking a crap you better skip the Nitrous. Nothing is Nitrous proof. Be willing to trash an engine before you arm the system. I use to fill Nitrous in my shop, I've seen some twisted up, mangled and broken stuff. When it comes to Nitrous it not "If" but "When" you end up with engine damage.

On your stock block 347 is about the limit. .030 overbore is about the limit on a roller block. The block is the weak point on the 347. Mine makes almost 600 hp and I'm not going to use Nitrous.

Here is the best peice of advise I can give you and it goes in several diferant directions.Buy a 331 stroker short block from a reputable builder, decent heads and related induction and a blower with about 12 lbs of boost and that will eat up your 8000 dollars pretty quick or build a 408 that Naturally aspirated with some killer heads and induction system and leave the Nitrous off of it.

The problem here is you want 500 hp to the wheels and it to be a worthy daily driver.While it's possible you better be ready to upgrade everything behind that monster.
You have unrealistic expectations for a street daily driver with 500 rwhp at 8000 dollars. I'm not saying it can't be done but reliablity is going to suffer somewhere. It takes more than a Hot engine to get the job done
Old 12-15-2008, 02:56 PM
jmh87chpnotch
1st Gear Member

I am just talking 8000 on the engine. I know a tranny and rear end and w/e else the car needs is going to add up alot. 8000 is not unrealistic to build a 500 hp street engine. I built a 408 ls1 for 6000 and I drove it for 60000 miles and sold it to a buddy and it currently has 110k miles. I am just unfamiliar with Fords. I think I will end up getting a complete engine from berrett racing. I can save up a little more cash and buy the engine for a little over 10k. Engine looks very good. I am emailing berrett to see what they say about it being streetable. My car will never be a car to take on anything over a 30 minute freeway drive. But I do want it ot be able to go for a while lol. I can also install pretty much everything myself so that will save alot also.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:03 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

dude if u want 500 hp and want to throw a good shot on it answers easy 408 or 418 windsor and here is a very good place to buy from , and many members on here have bought motors and such from him, customer support is second to none...he is a member on here as well jim at www.fordstrokers.com

he also has is own site that is full of some badass cars and very knowledgeable people www.sbftech.com
Old 12-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

For the power you are looking for I'd say a 351w windsor based stroker is your best bet. A stock 302 block is limited to about 500-550 crank hp safely. If you have that much money to spend I suggest looking at fordstrokers.com like jtmustang suggested. Your power level goals aren't out of reach with a nicely setup 418 and it can be very streetable with the proper cam. You're just going to have to look out for things like the trans and rear not being able to hold up.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:20 PM
jmh87chpnotch
1st Gear Member

The whole notrious thing I am talking about is only for track also. I would probably only thro a 50 shot and maybe a 100. A 408+ stroker with supporting drivetrain and suspension will get me way deep into the tens. My car already has 10 point roll cage and is compleltly gutted. I been getting her ready for all fo this.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Well if you are going with the 351w based engine you'll have a decent amount of strength, I heard people claim 700 hp should be fine, but I'm not positive about that. As far as the 10s, if you have the right trans it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmh87chpnotch
The whole notrious thing I am talking about is only for track also. I would probably only thro a 50 shot and maybe a 100. A 408+ stroker with supporting drivetrain and suspension will get me way deep into the tens. My car already has 10 point roll cage and is compleltly gutted. I been getting her ready for all fo this.
I don't think an 8000 dollar 600 hp engine (500-510 at the wheels) is unrealistic. I think it's unrealistic you want to use it as a daily driver and expect it to be durable for street duty everyday with that kind of power. In your first post you say its a daily driver and you want 500 rwhp and hit it with either 150 or 200 shot. Now you say it's a gutted out caged car and it;s either a 50 or 100 shot.
If you can't figure out what you have or what you really want I'm spinning my wheels trying to give you advice.

Quick Reply: Need some help with street engine setup