5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

measuring pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PJC Racing
Most people do not have this leisure, and have to stick with .050" increments from of the shelf.

Simple measurement.......
Like I said in most cases off the shelf is fine.

The average gearhead doesnt keep a mic that can measure down in the pushrod cup. It's easy to use the right lifter with just a set of checking springs. It's way to easy to do it the right way to make any assumptions in this area. Checking springs are only 2.00 dollars a pair. lol
Old 04-03-2009, 07:23 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Like I said in most cases off the shelf is fine.

The average gearhead doesnt keep a mic that can measure down in the pushrod cup.
Most do have a venire caliper and can measure cup to rim depth.

It's easy to use the right lifter with just a set of checking springs. Checking springs are only 2.00 dollars a pair. lol
But the average Gearhead may not have the tools to disassemble the head.

It's easy to use the right lifter with just a set of checking springs. It's way to easy to do it the right way to make any assumptions in this area.
True this method is easy, but it’s not the only way. And no assumption have to be made, there can be allowances within .050” after measuring.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:56 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I dont have one...
Old 04-03-2009, 08:18 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
I dont have one...
Bet you don't have a spring compressor either.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:22 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Just in case: Vernire (Dial) Caliper
Attached Thumbnails measuring pushrods-800px-dial_calipers.jpg  
Old 04-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Slayer420
1st Gear Member

i took my stock hydraulic roller apart and turned the plunger upside down which effectively made it a solid lifter and measured that way with my stock springs (i also checked with my checking springs and got the same numbers) you can also make your own adjustable pushrods and eliminate the guesswork...

http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=31437
Old 04-03-2009, 08:56 PM
symonds86
3rd Gear Member

Retro fit roller lifters are typically the same size as stock hyd. roller lifters. The retro fit is accomplished by reducing the base circle of the cam, which is pretty undesirable.
im not using a reduced base circle cam, i have the retro lifters from comp with the link bars. most who used a reduced base circle cam used the parts out of a newer roller block, or so i have read. thanks for the help guys i have the checking springs and adjustable pushrods. thanks again for all the help

o and those checking springs are so flimsy i see why they are lighter than the one in the lifters
Old 04-04-2009, 12:08 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Bet you don't have a spring compressor either.
actually, I do!

one for valve springs. and one for coil springs
Old 04-04-2009, 07:24 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

But the average Gearhead may not have the tools to disassemble the head.

True this method is easy, but it’s not the only way. And no assumption have to be made, there can be allowances within .050” after measuring.
Being as you are try to give me and engine buildin lesson here I'll make it simple. With a veneer caliper you have to measure from the wheel to the rim them then from the rim to the cup. Then you have to measure the new lifter the same way and come out with the differance. Each time you make a measurement you double the chance of a mistake. Why? when a set of 2 dollar checking springs would have done the job. Not to mention in your plan you have to be able to round up a set of solid roller lifters. Makes no sence

A valve spring compressor is one of those things that the average gearhead needs in his own toolbox or at least have access to one. Either on the car or off. Any time you change cams you need to change springs. If you are building your own engine you have to be willing to invest in the basics.

In most cases .050 allowance is fine sometimes it's not. Thats the reason companies make custom length pushrods.

Bottom line here is if you have invested in a pushrod length checker and are building your own engine a 2 dollar set of checker springs to do the job right where you only have to make one measurement isn't a stretch. You should have had a valve spring compressor befor ever taking on this job. Or at least have access to one.

Last edited by Portmaster; 04-04-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by symonds86
im not using a reduced base circle cam, i have the retro lifters from comp with the link bars. most who used a reduced base circle cam used the parts out of a newer roller block, or so i have read. thanks for the help guys i have the checking springs and adjustable pushrods. thanks again for all the help

o and those checking springs are so flimsy i see why they are lighter than the one in the lifters
Glad you did it the right way!!

Quick Reply: measuring pushrods