5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:13 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Default What to do?

OK, here is the dilemma I have all the parts to do a killer 347 good block forged kit and all. All but pistons I will have to reorder due to it being a turbo motor. But I would like to do a bigger engine not much lets say 383 or smaller and have no parts for it. All I am looking to do is run a 8.50 1/4 (yea I know). I can do it with the 347 or the 383 but I am thinking the 383 will get me around a few locals that I want. But then the 383 will make more power under the curve then the 347 but then it may light the tires faster. I don't want to mini tub the car so that is out. Also with gone to the big CID so comes packaging troubles with the turbo a bigger down pipe could be needed more port work on the heads and so on. I know this is a no brainer for most but I let this crap get in my head (can you say give him some meds) but obsession can be a crazy thing LOL. If this was a all out race car I would go with the CID and just drop the exhaust in the front of the car out the fender or some thing. But being a street car it needs to come out farther back. The turbo will be the limiting factor on both engines it will make said HP and that is gone to be it. it wont matter what the CID is all the CID is gone to do is make more sooner it may even make a bit more peak with the small CID. So opinions are needed.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:16 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

once you beat the locals here John they'll try and one up ya' that's a race you'll never win if ya' know what I mean.....wow 8.50's tall order for your street car, but having seen your car run It's doable.....as far as what I'd do??? hmm depends on how much more money you have to spend on one vs the other??? 383 maybe so as it doesn't fall short
Old 04-24-2009, 05:24 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
once you beat the locals here John they'll try and one up ya' that's a race you'll never win if ya' know what I mean.....
SMART MAN.......

Mike, In case you didn't know I am not talking of the one that you have seen I am talking of mine, the other is the wife's car and turbo anyway the short block is mine.LOL we got to keep the crap in order LOL. I know it can be done, it has been. there are a few guys over on Turbo Forums that have done it. Hell the Black Coupe that comes to town that has a D1 Procharger went 9.20 at the end of last year. not to bad for a street car LOL.heck if he don't spray it we MPH faster then him now with 100cid less. he has a 408 and a D1 with 100 shot of NOS. all we run in the wife's car is a 306 and the turbo 80mm and it still has a very mild tune. but he is ETing much better then us with the spray but with out the spray we are real close. So I don't know. the 347 is a killer setup and can get it done. Guy I know over to the track ran 8.50s at MIR but can only run low nines at M/D that's on drag radials. its a 383 with the same size turbo but his has bigger housings then the one I am gone to run. back to it wont hook. But if I do run the 8.50 mark that would be it I don't have the $$$ to update the car to run any faster
Old 04-24-2009, 09:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

well why didn't you say so!!!.....I thought you were not even close to working on "your" ride as the last time I talked to you you didn't seem to optimistic about starting it anytime soon.......so when does it all go down???
Old 04-25-2009, 11:59 PM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

I always thought that a 331 would be better in this situation. Better rod ratio and will spin higher to make more power.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:20 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by lxman1
I always thought that a 331 would be better in this situation. Better rod ratio and will spin higher to make more power.
myth.............anyway, not in his case, expecially if you knew what he was dealing with
Old 04-26-2009, 02:32 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lxman1
power is only limited by the turbo in this case. the 347 will rev just as hard as the 331 with the parts I am using. I also don't see having to rev it more then 7500 rpm and that would only be in a pinch that is one of the nice things about turbos. I have not reved the wife's car pass 6000 rpm yet and it went 10.30 letting out of it and that is with a 306. I really don't care about rod ratios I don't think it makes that much difference. one concerns I have is how far the first ring sets down from the top of the piston. But there are many boosted 347 running that don't have any problems with pistons. so it looks like that's what I am gone to stay with. Anyhow I will be getting back on it as soon as the wife's is back together and that is not but a couple days out when I get the head back. It has been a long time coming. LOL.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:01 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

heck if your wifes does what it does with a 306, turn the boost up on the 347 package and yours should be one that sees blue sky