5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

stall problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:26 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Considering the car runs worse after it warms up, makes me positive it's the dizzy. Here's a good read for you on the stator/Hall Efffects Sensor inside the distributor:http://www.wellsmfgcorp.com/pdf/Counterpoint3_1.pdf
Also, it might be a good time to clean your MAF as well.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:42 PM
malo012000
1st Gear Member

thanks again that was good info
Old 06-25-2009, 10:08 PM
panzerbefehlswagen

I am now joining forces with you malo! Since I have a 94gt with the same EMBARRASING! issue, Nothing quite like waxing and detailing your stang up to have it die right after the dude at the emmissions place was commenting on how nice my car was etc,.

I am going to run my TFI sensor down to Advance this weekend. If thats not it I'm thinking its MSD time probly get a new coil and those red msd wires to pimp it out. Man I hope that fixes this ****.

Is this a 94/95 issue only cause I haven't seen any foxes commenting on the issue, if it is a 94/95 issue what makes our cars different from the foxes as far as dizzys and sensors? I didnt think that our engines were much different except for the intake and the elec fan.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:26 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by panzerbefehlswagen
I am now joining forces with you malo! Since I have a 94gt with the same EMBARRASING! issue, Nothing quite like waxing and detailing your stang up to have it die right after the dude at the emmissions place was commenting on how nice my car was etc,.

I am going to run my TFI sensor down to Advance this weekend. If thats not it I'm thinking its MSD time probly get a new coil and those red msd wires to pimp it out. Man I hope that fixes this ****.

Is this a 94/95 issue only cause I haven't seen any foxes commenting on the issue, if it is a 94/95 issue what makes our cars different from the foxes as far as dizzys and sensors? I didnt think that our engines were much different except for the intake and the elec fan.
I would keep your stock coil. Chances are, it's not bad. Do what you said you were going to do with the TFI module. If that's not the case, then chances are, it is your dizzy as well. From what I have seen, the Fox's do have the same problem. However, I've seen more cases with them having a bad TFI module. As for our motors being the same, there are actually several differences. Our motor is NOT a Fox motor, but a Thunderbird motor. However, it does not use a Thunderbird cam, nor a Mustang cam. That's why there are no beans past 4500rpm( I understand a Fox body runs out of power here too, but the SN-95 is much more lethargic). Add 200 pounds + a conservative tune, and our cars will get waxed by a properly maintained Fox any day. Anyway, that's my .02 on our motors.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:59 PM
muhstang1

Default New Dizzy

I am looking at buying a new dizzy too. Where does a guy get the quality replacement without spending $250? Besides Ebay of course. I understand rebuilts are a no-no as lots of people report probs with them.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Black SunShine04
1st Gear Member

Wow I just posted on this same issue and didn't see this,it is a crazy problem that I want to fix before it happens again. It wouldn't rev over 1 grand but then out of the blue it cleared out enough I could drive it into the parking lot.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:11 PM
muhstang1

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=12
Here is a test you can run to test your TFI and stator operation. Page 3 under TFI Tester, the last sentence or two.

"A better test is to check the fuel pump relay while cranking the starter. Not the 2 second prime after the key is turned on, but while cranking the engine. If the fuel pump kicks on when cranking, the TFI module and Stator are good."

I have not tried it yet, tomorrow I guess. Of course you have to run this test when you have a no-start situation.
It's worth a shot anyway.

Last edited by muhstang1; 06-26-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: was not finished
Old 06-26-2009, 11:22 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by muhstang1
I am looking at buying a new dizzy too. Where does a guy get the quality replacement without spending $250? Besides Ebay of course. I understand rebuilts are a no-no as lots of people report probs with them.
Remanufactured ones from Autozone and Oreily's and Napa work well and won't break the bank. Yes, you can have problems with them. However, they usually carry lifetime warranties so you can take them back for a replacement(Out of four I've had, I've had one bad one). BTW, many new ones have complications as well.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:23 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black SunShine04
Wow I just posted on this same issue and didn't see this,it is a crazy problem that I want to fix before it happens again. It wouldn't rev over 1 grand but then out of the blue it cleared out enough I could drive it into the parking lot.
You could have a bad TFI module, fuel pump or stator/Hall Effects sensor in the dizzy. You can have the TFI module tested for free at Autozone or any local parts store. Nice info Muhstang, especially for beginners just getting into the Mustang world.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Black SunShine04
1st Gear Member

http://www.autosafety.org/stalling-f...e-class-action

Quick Reply: stall problem