5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

best power adder

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:30 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
why does everyone keep saying that nitrous is better because they power isnt always there? the power is only there when you floor it. a turbo or sc doesnt make boost all the time, only when your under wot or heavy load.

you right, turbos are slow off the line. nothing like a slow car that can hold the front wheels off the ground halfway down the track
If Shane Stack in that Monte Carlo would have stayed in his car when he dragged the bumper on that one pass, he would have flew across the finish line

All I mean by lag off the line is, you won't see a promod turbo car because they can't run with the blown cars in the class. A guy 45 miles from here is running 3.60ish with a whipple charged set-up. No turbo car will touch that because it loses to much ground off the line to play catch up.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 08-13-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

I'm kinda leaning toward ...BOTH...Got a 331 scat stroker IN a 92 GT ...EFI...already on 150 wet plate shot....Great out the hole and all kind of torque.... Stands right up.....Looking to add a turbo for getting it on down the big end.....
Old 08-13-2009, 12:13 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

you wont be running a 150 shot and a turbo. Turbo guys do use N2O to spool big turbos off the line, but you kinda have things in reverse. Use the N2O to spool a big turbo and then let that turbo do the work
Old 08-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Adam90LX

There simply is no such thing as "the best power adder", unless you are racing in an organization where the rules for a particular class give a clear advantage to a certain power adder combination, as many do. I can give many examples of very fast cars using any of the three power adders, so that is pretty much a waste of time. There are pros and cons for all three as well. All three require proper tunes that become more critical as the power level increases and NONE of the three have any inherent disposition to damage engines when they are used correctly. All of the three have post installation costs to maintain them. No matter which of the three you select, your stock engine is going to seriously limit the amount of power you can add because all three have similar negative effects on stock engine components (increased potential of detonation, increased cylinder pressure, increased mechanical loading, etc.) and too much power added from any of them will find the weak link in your engine very quickly. Given this limitation as the main determining factor, nitrous will get you to your particular engines mechanical limits the quickest and cheapest of the three.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:17 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
If Shane Stack in that Monte Carlo would have stayed in his car when he dragged the bumper on that one pass, he would have flew across the finish line

All I mean by lag off the line is, you won't see a promod turbo car because they can't run with the blown cars in the class. A guy 45 miles from here is running 3.60ish with a whipple charged set-up. No turbo car will touch that because it loses to much ground off the line to play catch up.
but how many of us drive promod cars?
Old 08-13-2009, 01:36 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

none, I think turbo is the coolist by far and wish my car had one

I was just making the point that the quickest car in the world is a whipple charged car
Old 08-13-2009, 05:59 PM
95stang gt
2nd Gear Member

well id like to make like 350 rwhp and like 400rwtq. sounds like a turbo hah. i think im gonna go that route. n2o would be sick but im worried about having a stock enigine with 130k on it. worried something will break. so a low boost turbo is the way i think ill go.. for now at least lol
Old 08-13-2009, 06:16 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

If all you want is 350 rwhp and 400 rwtq then a Vortech V2 blower will get there, on roughly 10 psi. A set of ported GT40's, a good intake and a good cam is all it will take. Blowers will be cheaper most of time, plus it is pretty easy to find a used V2. I run a V2 SQ, E7's with better springs, Lunati 51014 cam, and a Edelbrock Performer 5.0 intake. I run 15 psi to make up for the E7's and I put down 397 rwhp and 420rwtq, this was on a Mustang dyno, a dyno jet would show more.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:10 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

good to know after i put heads and a cam on my car I will still outrun you at those numbers with the whipple. jk

5pointohh installed an e-bay turbo kit on a car a while back. You might want to look through that thread.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:52 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
good to know after i put heads and a cam on my car I will still outrun you at those numbers with the whipple. jk

5pointohh installed an e-bay turbo kit on a car a while back. You might want to look through that thread.
Who me?

Who says I am keeping my E7's? I have plans for this thing LOL. And those plans involve an after-market block

Quick Reply: best power adder