5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 PM
92 5.0stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Headlight problems

I was driving the other night and all of a sudden my lights went out and all my electronics started flipping out going on and off. Its not my battery. And its not a fuse, and it only happens when i turn my headlights on . it doesnt do it when i only have my parking lights on. but as soon as i push it all the way in it starts freaking out. then it just stopped. I have HID idk if that means anything. Thinking this was the problem i took some factory bulbs and put them in and it kept doing it.

I did some investigating on the switch on the dash. I replaced the wiring harness( with one from a junk yard) awhile back because it had melted for some reason. And i just today replaced it with one from late model resto thinking it was the problem but it continues. I have a new switch from late model resto. ANY IDEAS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:05 AM
Riceinator
3rd Gear Member

I know the GT's have this similar problem with the lights when the fogs are on because to the factory wire is not thick enough to allow the extra current to flow through. Not sure if this is your problem though. Here is a tutorial that explains a solution. http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/foglights.html
Old 10-14-2009, 05:42 PM
ecal533

The only part of those instructions I don't car for is that they install the relay in the dash. This means the high power for the Driving Light s still travels from the battery to the interior and back to the lights. I would install the relay under the hood so that the high power portion of the wiring is shorter and even more efficient. Also by doing this, you can leave all of the switch wiring alone if you don't care about having the headlights on to use the driving lights. You would be cutting the hot wire to the driving lights near the front of the car, using the wire from the switch to active the relay on an off (simply ground the other side) and then run a new power feed from the battery (I would fuse it) to complete the new power feed to the driving lights. If you want to be able to run your driving lights any time, simply run a new power wire to the Driving light switch from the fuse panel and eliminate it coming from the multi-switch.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:32 PM
92 5.0stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ecal533
The only part of those instructions I don't car for is that they install the relay in the dash. This means the high power for the Driving Light s still travels from the battery to the interior and back to the lights. I would install the relay under the hood so that the high power portion of the wiring is shorter and even more efficient. Also by doing this, you can leave all of the switch wiring alone if you don't care about having the headlights on to use the driving lights. You would be cutting the hot wire to the driving lights near the front of the car, using the wire from the switch to active the relay on an off (simply ground the other side) and then run a new power feed from the battery (I would fuse it) to complete the new power feed to the driving lights. If you want to be able to run your driving lights any time, simply run a new power wire to the Driving light switch from the fuse panel and eliminate it coming from the multi-switch.
So your saying bypass the dash switch and just tap into the driving lights? So that when i turn on the driving lights my headlights come on also? And just ave the power come straight from the battery.