5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EGR vacumm switch?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:39 PM
toms93lx
1st Gear Member

yea i did test the solinoid and it is good... i aplied a voltage to it and it works ......the problem is it is not getting the voltage for some reason.........no ground shorts or opens.......somthing that make that signal is bad and i think it is the O2's. tested the O2's for ground shorts and opens and seems to be good .......this weekend i plan on taking votage readings with an ocylascope so that i can see the signal and tell if it is a false reading or if i have a bigger wiring issue........so if the O2's dont make the signal .........what do the O2's use the signal for and what do they control....

the only thing i havent done yet is pull the harness from the computer i have been wanting to avoid that .......looks like i am going to have to .....afraid to break wires and make it worse than it is.......but i know what you mean on the O2 problem i think that it is the hole problem....fix that i fix the other.......i have checked the O2 wires for ground shorts and so far nothing shows or leads to a ground short it could have and open and that will be hard to test ill have to rig up a long wire so i can do cont. on it......but first i plan on testing the voltage at the pin while it runs.............hopefully i get something beside 0 volts .......and i hope it is becouse i have an open in the O2 wires.........

oh where is the fusible link located for the power to the O2 sensors ....id be pissed if it was that but i cant find it ....
Old 02-22-2010, 10:54 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

If the EVR isnt getting voltage, do a voltage drop test......
I have told you what the o2's do.....
If you have 0v on a circuit, its a short to ground, not an open....
The ECU controls the modulation of the EVR....

How are you checking your wiring???????????? obviously not by doing voltage drop tests.

Id listen and try to do what people are suggesting instead of ASSuming.

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:32 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by toms93lx
i think it is the O2's. ........so if the O2's dont make the signal .........what do the O2's use the signal for and what do they control....

i know what you mean on the O2 problem i think that it is the hole problem....fix that i fix the other........
Old 02-26-2010, 07:47 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by toms93lx
yea i did test the solinoid and it is good... i aplied a voltage to it and it works ......the problem is it is not getting the voltage for some reason.........no ground shorts or opens.......somthing that make that signal is bad and i think it is the O2's. tested the O2's for ground shorts and opens and seems to be good .......this weekend i plan on taking votage readings with an ocylascope so that i can see the signal and tell if it is a false reading or if i have a bigger wiring issue........so if the O2's dont make the signal .........what do the O2's use the signal for and what do they control....

the only thing i havent done yet is pull the harness from the computer i have been wanting to avoid that .......looks like i am going to have to .....afraid to break wires and make it worse than it is.......but i know what you mean on the O2 problem i think that it is the hole problem....fix that i fix the other.......i have checked the O2 wires for ground shorts and so far nothing shows or leads to a ground short it could have and open and that will be hard to test ill have to rig up a long wire so i can do cont. on it......but first i plan on testing the voltage at the pin while it runs.............hopefully i get something beside 0 volts .......and i hope it is becouse i have an open in the O2 wires.........

oh where is the fusible link located for the power to the O2 sensors ....id be pissed if it was that but i cant find it ....
You are following the "repair the transmission to fix a water pump problem" approach. If the EVR solenoid is faulty it will NOT cause any driveability problems.... the ECM automatically deletes the EGR function as long as an EGR component failure is registered. The O2's are sensors that report to the ECM, the EVR is an actuator controlled by the ECM.

The real failure codes to focus resolving are the O2 failure codes, and NO.... the system does not use the O2 sensors to control the EGR.

1. Disconnect EVR connector and measure resistance from the EVR solenoid pins...... if the resistance is >140 ohms..... the EVR solenoid is kaput.
2. With key in IGN ON, check voltage at EVR harness connector red wire, if 12 vdc is not present, you have an open in that wire through the harness. If OK.....
3. Disconnect ECM and EVR connectors, measure resistance from EVR harness connector pin with the Dark Green wire to ECM connector pin 33..... if resistance is <5 ohms, you have an open in that wire.

For the O2 codes:

1. Confirm the HEGO ground wire is bolted to a ground sorce at the rear intake manifold or cylinder head. The wire is Orange in color and is the one tagged with #19 in the diagram below.

2. And most importantly........ trash the lousy misinformation you got from whomever at Ford, it is incorrect.

LUK