5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Getting the filler neck off th

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 07:03 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default Getting the filler neck off th

The Rubber grommet on my 1995 Mustang 3.8 has dry rotted and fallen apart, i lose alot of gas very quickly. I am trying to take the filler neck off so that I can install the new grommet. But I cant manage to get the neck off. I cant push it further into the Gas tank, and I can pull it through the side of the car. I tried bringing it up through the trunk but there isnt enough room.</P>

Could anyone help me on this please? Im tired of getting 10mi to the gallon I recently bought this car about 2 months ago and have always smelled a little gas on it, but I discovered my problem after filling the tank up. </P>

I went to Suburban Ford here in Sacramento and got the new Grommet ( $17.97 ) and its a far cry from my rotted chunked out grommet with rubber hanging from it.</P>

Any help and idea's are appriciated. Thanks guys.</P>

</P>

Sincerely Eric.</P>
Old 12-02-2003, 07:39 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

i dont know about the sn95 body but on a fox you need to undo all the bolts that hold the plastic retainer from the body. then there are a few on the back of it. youll need to drop the tank and it should then come down. i had to drop my tank and this want i had to do. hope this helps you out
Old 01-17-2004, 03:09 PM
TNKK

I also have a 1995 Ford Mustang and I have the exact same problem! Did you find out how to replace the new grommet? I will be attempting this tonight! Please let me know if you found a way.</P>

Thank you,
TNKK</P>

</P>

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
</P>

The Rubber grommet on my 1995 Mustang 3.8 has dry rotted and fallen apart, i lose alot of gas very quickly. I am trying to take the filler neck off so that I can install the new grommet. But I cant manage to get the neck off. I cant push it further into the Gas tank, and I can pull it through the side of the car. I tried bringing it up through the trunk but there isnt enough room.</P>

Could anyone help me on this please? Im tired of getting 10mi to the gallon I recently bought this car about 2 months ago and have always smelled a little gas on it, but I discovered my problem after filling the tank up. </P>

I went to Suburban Ford here in Sacramento and got the new Grommet ( $17.97 ) and its a far cry from my rotted chunked out grommet with rubber hanging from it.</P>

Any help and idea's are appriciated. Thanks guys.</P>

</P>

Sincerely Eric.</P>
Old 01-21-2004, 05:49 PM
sevorg

I had to replace the fuel pump on my 92gt. I wanted to take the filler neck off to make it easier to syphon gas out of the tank.

I ended up having to take the tank down just like ohsoquik02 to get the damn thing off. Good luck. Dont let the tank smash you when it comes down. I let mine smash my buddy. Its a good idea to syphon all the gas you can out first.