5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Possible basketcase 91 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 10:05 AM
RedFox91

Default Possible basketcase 91 5.0

Bought a 91 5.0 LX Convertible for cheap, kid said it had a bad headgasket. The kid and a friend did the intake and exhaust gaskets when they switched to Explorer parts (or whatever they used, they did not seem too bright). They gave me a complete engine gasket kit (FelPro) with the car, plus the old manifolds. They also messed up the timing real bad (popping through the exhaust and barely runs).

I checked the oil and the level was a little high but it looked fairly clean/fresh. I think they changed the oil recently. Originally they said they found coolant in the oil. When the car was running it poured white smoke out the drivers tail pipe, thick and sweet smelling. The radiator looked low or empty but the cap and filler neck were clean.

It won't start now, but the windows and power stuff work. When I turn the key it doesn't even crank. I think I could hear a relay click once under the hood when I had someone else turn the key. No cranking or multiple clicking though.

I'm going to tear into this thing tomorrow but it is my first 5.0. I would like to reset the timing (need to stab distributor) and do a compression check. What else should I be looking for and trying to diagnose? I've read up on headgaskets but could it be something else (anything besides a cracked block??)

Also, the convertible motor makes a whirring noise but doesn't operate the top up or down. Is there a trick to it or has something come undone? I cant see much back there so it would help if I knew what to look for.

Sorry for the long post, I just got this car and joined the forum (have been reading it for awhile).
Old 03-03-2011, 11:22 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

I would consider pulling the upper/lower intake and heads and redo the gaskets, since you doubt the previous work done. Also, theres a sticky on "restabbing the distributor".
Old 03-03-2011, 03:11 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

if you're lucky the lower intake gaskets can be leaking like all hell, did the pop backfire clear up or get worse as you accelerated, did you notice the oil pressure gauge while driving?

Not to insult your intelligence (really not trying to) but you did unhook the hold downs for the top? the motor is hidden behind that cloth bucket in the trunk, just keep reaching back and you'll touch it, look around in the trunk and the rear floorboards for hydrolic fluid, thats what happens most of the time, the lines bust.

Last edited by enix187; 03-03-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:15 PM
RedFox91

Car isn't currently running so I can't check the oil pressure gauge. When it WAS running, the pop seemed to be louder with acceleration but it was only driven up onto my carhauler. The motor would rev but the car wouldn't really drive, and it was wanting to die. It hasn't started since I brought it home. (And it had a hell of a time starting just to get it onto the trailer). I

I unhooked the latches for the top if thats what you meant, the ones near the sunvisors. Does the parking brake have to be on to operate? As for the roof motor location, is that cloth cover removable? It was dark when I was messing with it so I couldn't tell where it would come off.

Here's another dumb 1st vert owner question: Do I have to take out the rear glass window when putting the top down? Its a brand new top and has a zip out window, not sure if its original style or not.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

no, the window folds down with the top, no need to unzip it.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:31 AM
RedFox91

Got it to crank, the problem was a bad splice in the neutral safety switch wire. So now it cranks but no start. Still working that problem out (made new post about compression test).

The convertible top isn't working because of a hose leak. I filled the motor up and ran it, and it sprayed the ATF out the driver side hose. Could I get new hoses made somewhere or am I stuck paying ~$100 for a new set?