5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP!! - Purchased Racing Brakes and I might have screwed up ROYALLY! TIME-SENSITIVE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 03:18 PM
davidlocke

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Dude, you should have came here and asking questions before you spent more on the brakes than your whole car is worth. Especially since you DO NOT need that much brake. Another note on racing brakes(well more the racing brake pads).....they don't work worth a damn when cold. They have to be heated up to work well.

This is where you should start for the front.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...tyle-Brake-Kit

Or if you THINK you need more...
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...rake-Rotor-Kit

As for your actual issue....its not your calipers. There is NO WAY you went through 3 sets and had the EXACT same issue with all of them.

How long do your rear pads last before the E-brake "doesn't work"?

My rear pads will last about 50% and then at that point the E-Brake looses it's ability to hold the car. I had a rear-caliper issue, on the one of the rear brakes, and I had to switch it out. Since then I am unable to get the E-Brake to work, regardless of how far I have the cable pulled in on brand new pads and rotors. I've checked under the car and the caliper is engaging it's mechanism from the cable, took it to a mechanic, he checked, we both called A1Cardon and then did this whole number 2 more times. There's something wrong with 94-96 rear OEM replacement brakes. Two part houses have confirmed that with us? I don't know!
Old 10-15-2011, 03:43 PM
davidlocke

Originally Posted by mustangGT86_05
good quality brakes doesn't mean selling your first born. I race, and all I run is svo front calipers with performance pads and I stop perfectly fine. 6 pistons is a LOT of potential force, in other words you shouldn't have any issues locking up the brakes granted you can hoof the pedal hard enough. The thing about going performance with something that came oem is warranties, all my stuff is lifetime meaning I basically don't have to buy a thing again except possibly rotors.
Lifetime, I hear you. Me too. The next set of Spark-Plug Wires I purchase is going to be Magnecor Spark Plug Wires. I don't think they have a life-time warranty, but if you take care of them, I'll never have to replace them. Alternator - Lifetime. Radiator - Lifetime. Tripple-Edge Wiper-blades - supposedly lifetime. - I'm all for cheap, but at the same time, I would rather spend a little bit extra and get quality than be cheap and end up on the side of the road.

Regarding spending all this money!! I never wanted to spend the money!! Someone wrote, "Spending more than the car's worth" - Well that person's dead on, my car isn't worth on paper what I spent in these brakes. Nor is the 6K I spent on the 1000ft-lb drive-line from Clutch to the Axial. The really funny thing is. I don't make much money at all. I spend probably 8hrs a day looking for work and another 8hrs doing the work, if it's a good day. There's a reason the E-Brake is so important to me, I'm too embarrassed to share with everyone because you'll talk about me to the end of time, but my point is that I was willing to spend the money on quality because it usually pays off in the end. I'm not sure this line of thinking is the case with these brakes. I was perfectly fine with the OEM brakes. When they worked, they worked fine enough for me. I have had a couple of concerning moments but I can downshift to compensate. The car is actually pretty heavily modded out, and as for selling my first born, this stupid piece sh*t car is my baby!!!! For my graduation present I got a 77 Plymouth station wagon. It drove a total of 7 miles. 2nd car was a 68-Galaxey - bought it from a friend, I got maybe 1000miles out of her. (got it cheap). Saved, saved, saved, wrote a bike for 3 years (including winter), and then found my 94 mustang. The car was owned by this rich-kid who's Daddy owned the Ford-Car lot here in Lexington. This kid would rag a car out and toss it. That's how I got it. It had 30k on her, however she was rode hard. I have done everything I could to restore her and keep her running over the years. 550,000 miles later, she's still here.

Another issue with the Racing Brakes is that I just found out is that they don't have dust-boots like steet-brakes, but my mechanic said that really wasn't an issue in KY, maybe if I lived in the desert or near salt, but I should be o.k.

If I could just find some reasonably priced rotors, I wouldn't be so upset. My mechanic told me that he could turn my 2 piece rotor/hat slotted brakes at least a couple of times to help me lower the cost. The rotors are clearly marked "unserviceable" but all rotors are considered "unserviceable" and shouldn't be turned. I understand that turning a rotor does take away it's ability to conduct heat a little and my 100% Rotor is now a 98% rotor after being turned, but I seriously doubt the negative-effects are even 2% which I can easily live with.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:46 PM
davidlocke

Default What rotors do you use.

Originally Posted by 5.0kid
my wilwood rear disk brakes are the big brake kit and have around 10k on them and many 120 to 0 stops and they barely are showing wear. i think you will be ok just put aside like 10 dollars a pay check and that way when its time to replace the parts your good to go.
On your Big-Brake Kit, what rotors do you use? Wllwood? 10K - slight wear. That kinda eases my tension a little.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:10 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

A car is worth what you're willing to spend, but im just saying there are good ways to obtain nice braking set ups without going full out race style. Then again, probably wouls end up with cardone again lol but the way I see it is you'll never be able to buy that mustang exactly as you want it, if its what you want there's no other way to do it.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:25 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

You still didn't answer my question...how long (in time! months, weeks, years....) will the rear pads last...
Old 10-15-2011, 06:32 PM
davidlocke

Originally Posted by mustangGT86_05
A car is worth what you're willing to spend, but im just saying there are good ways to obtain nice braking set ups without going full out race style. Then again, probably wouls end up with cardone again lol but the way I see it is you'll never be able to buy that mustang exactly as you want it, if its what you want there's no other way to do it.
Hey

Did I want Racing Brakes. Hell Yea!!!! They were on my list of mods to the car. Just at the very very bottom. My next big investment on the car was going to be a Turbo once I got caught up with the factors of life. Assuming I ever get there or win the Lottery!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:36 PM
davidlocke

You still didn't answer my question...how long (in time! months, weeks, years....) will the rear pads last...
Hmm.....Dude, I really don't know. A long time, because I would at least get a year, maybe two years out of my front brakes. I usually switch my front brakes 3 to 1 on my rear brakes, so my estimated answer is the emergency brake would quit working at 3-3.5years assuming I got 6 years on the rears.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:41 PM
davidlocke

Default Rebuild!!!

I just looked at your rebuild. How many months/years/dollars sleepless nights did you have in vested.

Talk about a restore.

SWEET!!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 07:29 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

The first 30 days (my 30 day leave from Iraq) were the most sleepless nights... I got back from Iraq in Feb and had it in running, inspectable order in June.....so it really didn't take all that long.. had the wife and kids I had to be with. Most of the work was done after they went to bed and I stayed up till 2-4AM..... still a work in progress...thanks!

6 years and your complaining about the rear brakes??? WTF!!!

yea, it seems kinda odd but your getting plenty of time from the stock brakes...
Old 10-15-2011, 09:17 PM
davidlocke

The first 30 days (my 30 day leave from Iraq) were the most sleepless nights... I got back from Iraq in Feb and had it in running, inspectable order in June.....so it really didn't take all that long.. had the wife and kids I had to be with. Most of the work was done after they went to bed and I stayed up till 2-4AM..... still a work in progress...thanks!

6 years and your complaining about the rear brakes??? WTF!!!

yea, it seems kinda odd but your getting plenty of time from the stock brakes...
You know it kinda sucks. No matter what I do, I'll never be FAST FAST hauling an extra 1500-2000lbs around compared to the weight of your car!!

In addition, I'm going to add a roll-bar - sometime down the road.

Quick Reply: HELP!! - Purchased Racing Brakes and I might have screwed up ROYALLY! TIME-SENSITIVE!