5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Running lean with my new intake how do i balance it back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 08:08 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the links an the info i think i got what i need to figure this all out!! super happy would've had to spend an arm an a leg to have some shop do it so again thanks a million this forum is so damn useful couldnt say thanks enough totally appreciate it all thanks thanks thanks now just gotta cross my fingers an hope i follow the instructions good enuff to make this sheeeeet work!!!! hah again u guys r awesome...
Old 11-16-2011, 09:30 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Just come back and be sure to let us know what you try and the result and if you fix it.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:38 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Ok So i bought that $30 obd1 scanner thing and i followed instructions the best i could an im pretty sure i got the corerct codes because all i really got were running lean/ rich codes and i think a EVP code or something about EGR pressure? i think anyways...so the koeo/koer tests werent as helpful as i thought theyd be i was thinking it would pinpoint my running lean problem but oh well..i ordered a BBK adjustable fuel pressure regulator that should come by the end of this week... i guess the bbk regulator's max pressure is 65psi where as some of the cheaper universal regulators go to i think 140 or whatever the max psi that ur fuel pump pumps at..I have a 255 lb fuel pump that i havent put in yet.. im really tryn to get this damn thing smogged and im just hoping that this fuel pressure regulator is all i need to get rid of my lean condition..think i should put in the better fuel pump when i put on the adjustable fuel pressure regulator or would the regulator be enough? uhg..i had a friend of a friend who runs a shop look at it an try an pull codes but he said he couldnt do anything an told me to go to a shop that has the machine to read emissions uhg uhg waste of time but whatever ima just wait til i get this regulator throw my 255 fuel pump in an just hope or the best.....when i put the fuel pressure regulator on how am i supposed to adjust it i mean im sure ima find out on my own but for conversation sake will it run different like will i be able to hear / feel a difference in its running or performance? should i get a fuel pressure guage so i know where its at or where to set it? and lastly is there a certain psi that i should be running at? and what would the stock psi be on a stock EFI foxbody? ok god got my fingers crossed that this is gunna work out...thanks for all the input this forum is so damn helpful!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:09 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

you wasted your $30. A paperclip or a piece of wire would have told you the exact same thing. What were the exact codes? They are telling you that your lean for a reason.... Your EGR is also gonna be part of it since you still have all of that stuff.

You can not use a adjustable FPR without a gauge...how else would you know what your fuel pressure is?

Install the fuel pump anyway. 30 mins worth of work won't hurt you.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:36 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
you wasted your $30. A paperclip or a piece of wire would have told you the exact same thing. What were the exact codes? They are telling you that your lean for a reason.... Your EGR is also gonna be part of it since you still have all of that stuff.

You can not use a adjustable FPR without a gauge...how else would you know what your fuel pressure is?

Install the fuel pump anyway. 30 mins worth of work won't hurt you.
Hahaha i know i know just didnt want to spend the time doin the paper clip thing...an i think most the codes were like 32's an 41's maybe a 14 or 18 i wrote them down i dont remember now n dont have the paper cuz im at work... hmm i did get an egr code i think think it was the 32 or someting about the egr pressure sensor? uhg i dunno but hahahahaha the damn FPR didnt come with a damn gauge so i guess ill get that : ) kinda wondering how im supposed to set the damn psi without knowing what its at...uhm what should i be setting it to? i know carbuerated uses like 3-8psi? an the efi stock is what 30 something? shoot think i just lit a lightbulb.. i should probly go get the gauge an see what psi im running at now maybe that'll show me my problem right there if im running under 30 something or whatever its supposed to be at then obviously that'll be the prob! ...oh an what did u mean bout the EGR being part of it? could that cause a lean condition??
Old 11-22-2011, 08:44 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Oh wow so i was screwing around by looking at this link http://sbftech.com/index.php?PHPSESS...pic,849.0.html which is all the meanings for the codes ...andfor the two i can remember =

32 - EGR Valve Position/Pressure Feedback EGR Voltage Below Closed Voltage. 0.24 volts (O,M,R)

41 - System Indicates Lean -passenger side(R), No o2 Sensor Switching Detected. always lean -passenger side(M)

i only post this because the book that came with my wasted $30 scanner tool only said the lean part on 41 an not pass side or anything about 02s... Could that be my damn problem just the 02 = bad??? would that cause a lean? but whats the egr valve position thing about?? how do i check/set the voltage for it?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:45 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yes the o2 can be your issue. Thats why we told you to pull the codes like we did the way we did. It was free and very quick and easy.

Last edited by projectresto83; 11-22-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:36 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Word yeah this forum an u guys are awesome an a huge help ive heard a lot bout the koeo/koer test but always thought it was something i had to take my car to a shop to do so i mean i did learn a lot / something new which is usually the case when i talk wit uz guyz man i hope the o2 corrects it...shoot uhg i hate guessing what the problem is...cuz now i ordered a FPR when i most likely dont even need it?....uhg well i guess it couldnt hurt to put it on still an throw in my 255 pump....would i notice any increase in performance with the FPR/bigger pump? i know usually u only need more fuel pressure on turbo/superchargd/blower motors but the website that i got the bbk FPR from says u gain 7-15 horse by putting it on but it says that about like every aftermarket part lol like some nice new HIDs that gain u 50 horse oh oh dont forget to get a spoiler/wing that'll add 100 horse easy lol lol lol
Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Oh an is there a way to test ur o2s to see if they still work / function properly? because id like to test both sides to see if both are bad or just the pass side...an too see if its my wiring or if the o2 is really just done for....?
Old 11-23-2011, 02:40 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Truthfully if you have the cash I would replace both of them just to be safe. Then double check the ground on the back of the head and make sure its clean and tight. THat is the ground for the o2 sensors.

The adjustable regualtor is a good thing and will help out. The motor will feel smoother thru out the RPMS. Especially with the bigger pump. WIth the return style system our cars have you can't go too big on the pump so it allows for room in your build. Adjust the pressure so it has about 32psi with the vacuum line connected. That means you will adjust it, attach the line and check....

IDK if we discussed it yet but check your plugs/replace them with standard autolite plugs and make sure your plug gap is right. Replace the fuel filter.....basically do a tune up on the thing.

Quick Reply: Running lean with my new intake how do i balance it back?