5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

my other new stang

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

Default my other new stang

well just picked this 1 up yesterday but have a question b4 sharing piks.., iv never heard what a knocking motor sounds like but i think this is my 1st. Any tips that or thing to look out for?

Oh and piks

Old 03-21-2012, 07:49 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Number one on the distributor is facing the wrong plenum bolt....Looks tacky.

Anyways, if you need help identifing if it is in the oil pan, a mechanics stethoscope will help.

So many things it could be, it is hard to know without hearing because what you describe may sound like a busted egr tube to one guy and a piston skirt to the next and so and so on.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

And thats it.? well ok then thanks for noticing!! Well if it helps the drivers side valve cover is where the knocking is coming from. Also it sounds louder when engine cold. Its not massively loud but enough to annoy. guy i got it from was trying to say that it has a bad lifter maybe?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:30 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

You will have to pull the plenum off to find a bad lifter on the drivers side. It would be beneficial to do since the plenum takes about 15 minutes to get off as long as you don't break anything and you will know if you are looking at needing a motor or just a set of lifters.

off topic but, where did you get those white wheels? I want some.

oh and the car looks pretty sweet.

just my own opinion but, the white wheels would look better than the murdered out ones to me.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 03-21-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Js88lx
And thats it.? well ok then thanks for noticing!!
You do realize this is the internet, right? And that we can't tell you every detail about your car, right? As I have said before to others, details are crucial when looking for help on the internet. That said, it can be a range of things like a bad lifter which will "tick", or a broken valve spring, but if it sounds like its coming from the valve cover it probably isn't a knock. That doesn't mean it isn't for sure, sounds can be funny and play tricks.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
off topic but, where did you get those white wheels? I want some.

oh and the car looks pretty sweet.

just my own opinion but, the white wheels would look better than the murdered out ones to me.
What ..., those old ponies., i spray painted them with rust-o-leam gloss white.., they do look good tho!

oh and i was going to spray the gt wheels white but since i had done that b4 wanted to try black but now i regret it and must re-spray them in white!! ill post piks of when i do., iv never seen white 2k gt rims... must be kool!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangGT86_05
You do realize this is the internet, right? And that we can't tell you every detail about your car, right? As I have said before to others, details are crucial when looking for help on the internet. That said, it can be a range of things like a bad lifter which will "tick", or a broken valve spring, but if it sounds like its coming from the valve cover it probably isn't a knock. That doesn't mean it isn't for sure, sounds can be funny and play tricks.
I was just joking..! Im sure theres lots if things that can be caught but not just from a pik! Ill try to post a vid tomarrow to show you what im listening to every morning.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
You will have to pull the plenum off to find a bad lifter on the drivers side. It would be beneficial to do since the plenum takes about 15 minutes to get off as long as you don't break anything and you will know if you are looking at needing a motor or just a set of lifters.
So.., what do you mean by i will know if ill be needing a new motor or just lifter..? So what should i look for?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:07 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

You are looking for slack in a rocker that would cause the racket. You won't be able to see the lifters themselves. And you can put the car back together without that valve cover and crank it like that if it makes it easier to diagnose. Problem with that is they are non-adjustable so, no turning a nut to quieten the noise. I can think of a few things you could try but, it would be better to replace the lifters.

You could also try some transmission fluid in the oil. May lube up a stuck lifter.

Lifters do bleed off so it may be better to do while warm.

How did you get the pony off the cap to paint them? Just prise them off? I want a set and since I can't buy them anywhere, I may do the paint thing myself.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 03-22-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

man soooo much more info would be needed for us to really help you. What aftermarket parts are on the motor? Does it vary with rmps? Does anything other then getting up to temp make it quieter?

Quick Reply: my other new stang