5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

'93 gt conv heat coming from rear seat area

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:16 PM
mrd341

Default '93 gt conv heat coming from rear seat area

Hello all, I am actually trying to help my son with a problem on his GT (I am a model T guy myself LOL) recently he had a mild swerve and bumped a curb with the pass side real wheel putting a small ding in the rim. shortly afterword he noticed that the wheel seemed to get "hot" after driving a few miles around town. He replaced the wheel and had a complete brake job done after mentioning the wheel problem to a mechanic. He was told that there was no visible damage nor any reason for the wheel to be hot, and has been driving the car with reservations because the wheel seemed to get hotter than the others after driving it for awhile. yesterday he noticed that the rear seat belt buckle and seat area seemed unusually warm after driving for a couple of hours! I am wondering if the rear end could be "heating up" or if you guys have come across a similar problem before getting it on a lift and taking it apart. any suggestions or help would be appreciated! Thank's
Den
Old 06-27-2012, 12:51 AM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

It wouldn't be possible for the rear end to heat up enough to transfer it significantly to the seat unless it were glowing. what first popped in my head is when he hit the exhaust may have been involved and is now making direct contact with the body, so inspect that.

As for the brake issue if the axle shaft were bent it can create an issue and will develop many more issues, I suggest removing the axle and have a shop check to see if its true. The axle shaft is the most direct contact to the wheel next to the drum so damage is very possible. You may end up noticing a gear oil leak from it to on that wheel.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Pretty much what he^ said. Odd situation. Probably a dangerous vehicle to be driven the way it is, whatever is wrong(if its true).
Old 06-27-2012, 02:56 PM
mrd341

Default Thanks

I will have to get it on a lift to check it out, but the car is always garaged when not driven and there are no visible leaks or noticeable noises coming from the axle or wheel, I have not physically examined the car yet and am only going by what my son is telling me, he has no mechanical experience and is now scared to drive the car for too long because the wheel seems to throw off a lot of heat when he does! I didn't have the heart to tell him that in my younger "lean" days I have driven cars with no brakes and wheels falling off from bad bearings!! And now drive a model t that I pray over every time I get into it that it makes it to wherever I'm going! LOL thanks for the response, I am just trying to get some ideas before taking a look at it!