5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

adjusting fpr made smoke out tailpipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:29 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
I think the dizzy is a tooth off
Uhg so i spent all day making SURE i wasnt even 1 tooth off : ) dropd dizz in like 5 times...but still im weak when i line the notches up ( notch on block with notch on dizzy) only time i get good torque is if i super advance it... any ideas? : (
Old 07-05-2012, 10:46 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Only thing I can think is that your physically a tooth off on the cam sprocket. Hard to tell without being there.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:12 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

uhg wow that would suck! i coulda swore i had it lined up good..i mean there is an indentation/mark that u r supposed to line up correct? UHG that would suck...
Old 07-06-2012, 12:21 AM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

I mean, car sounds / runs good...maybe i just need to find the timing sweet spot ? a little advanced is ok right? for more horse? im jsut saying cuz i coulda swore i lined up the cam as best as possible...if the cam were off a tooth i mean would it run good idle good an everything? cuz motor sounds real nice specially after the h/c/i im just looking for that seat of the pants torque like right off the line...i feel like if i were goin up a slant or nice hill i should be able to ride first until 3 grand then just stab it to roast em up but for somereason im just not getting that sweet spot on my timing...uhg wish i had my own damn dyno! : ( h/c/i all these pully deletes, throttle body adj fpr subframes cold air etc should give me more than im getting damnit! i know it just needs to be tuned properly uhg an im sure its easy an i could do it its just not wanting to be easy like its supposed to be : (
Old 07-06-2012, 11:36 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

hmm.. idk.. the HCI might have moved your powerband higher than stock. Kinda like what happens when you remove cats and go with an offroad pipe. Low end torque makes way for midrange.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:47 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

hmm.. idk.. the HCI might have moved your powerband higher than stock. Kinda like what happens when you remove cats and go with an offroad pipe. Low end torque makes way for midrange.
So by moving the powerband higher than stock, would that mean the powerband starts at a higher rpm or i have to be going at a higher rate of speed in order to get it? Could that explain why my timing needs to be advanced so much or are u saying i should put it back to stock (where dizzy2block notches line up) and not have the low end torque but once i get to a higher rpm i should find the powerband/torque?

I definetly know what u mean by changing to a offroad pipe because i did that awhile back when motor was stock an it totally lost my seat of the pants torque people told me i need more uh compression or something, like h/c/i or turbo/super charger..im rockin the stock catted h right now, but i still got my offroad x pipe think that could help/improve anything now that i do have the h/c/i?
Old 07-06-2012, 08:06 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

yeah probably free up a bit. what gear ratio you have in the rearend?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:54 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

yeah probably free up a bit. what gear ratio you have in the rearend?
So that was a yeah i should put my offroad x on? : ) sorry i know i got a bunch of questions n u been a huge help f'in awesome my friend but uh i put a stockl rear end back in bcuz i got the car as a shell, had upgraded suspension an 373s but someone pulled the rear dif cover off to check what gears they were instead of counting driveshaft/tire spins! an once i built it an was ready for the road i didnt check for fluid in there an sure enough they froze up bout 3 hours into driving a bearing slipped out into the ring n pinion n just toasted the whole rear im hella pissed cuz i def noticed a difference from 373s an stock...uhg but yeh stock rear...u think i would be even slower with the offroad x like it would on a stock motor or is that wat u were u saying bout it could free up a bit horse?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:55 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

yeah swap in the X and see how it feels.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:48 AM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

kk fer sure well right on ima do that tmrw an ill post more after thatd be cool if the x helps i friggn bought that thing so long ago n put it on a couple times but never kept it on : )