5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

SuperCharger and Emissions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Default SuperCharger and Emissions...

Sup all,

I just recently bought my New Edelbrock Performer Intake along with a Pair Of Eddelbrock Performer heads. I havnt put them in yet because I made up my mind in waiting for my Supercharger, so Ill install everything all at once.

I have a couple questions.

1. I live in California where everything needs to pass smog, the intake and heads are smog leagal and everything else including Smog pump, If I put a Supercharger on will it pass smog?

2. Ive been thinking about this for a long time now and its been bugging me, and I didnt want to ask because I havnt saved up the money for the Supercharger yet but here goes, What size injectors should I use? I was thinking about just keeping the Stock 19s but I heard its a good idea to go with 24s.

3. Im going to do the MAF swap as soon as I purchase the S/C, my question is can I use a stock computer say off a 93 Mustang or anything with MAF or should I just go with an After Market one?

4. Should I just put the heads and intake on now or should I wait and upgrade all at once?

5. Also can the Stock motor (90,000 miles) handle a Supercharger, Stock meaning Internals Pistons, rings, cam, ect.? If so How much boost should I be running?

Thats it for now, im sure I will probrobly think of more.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: SuperCharger and Emissions...

[sm=feedback.gif]
Old 10-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Black Snake

Sup all,

I just recently bought my New Edelbrock Performer Intake along with a Pair Of Eddelbrock Performer heads. I havnt put them in yet because I made up my mind in waiting for my Supercharger, so Ill install everything all at once.

1. I live in California where everything needs to pass smog, the intake and heads are smog leagal and everything else including Smog pump, If I put a Supercharger on will it pass smog?

2. Ive been thinking about this for a long time now and its been bugging me, and I didnt want to ask because I havnt saved up the money for the Supercharger yet but here goes, What size injectors should I use? I was thinking about just keeping the Stock 19s but I heard its a good idea to go with 24s.

3. Im going to do the MAF swap as soon as I purchase the S/C, my question is can I use a stock computer say off a 93 Mustang or anything with MAF or should I just go with an After Market one?

4. Should I just put the heads and intake on now or should I wait and upgrade all at once?

5. Also can the Stock motor (90,000 miles) handle a Supercharger, Stock meaning Internals Pistons, rings, cam, ect.? If so How much boost should I be running?

1) as long as there is a C.A.R.B. number for the parts, it will pass CA smog.
2) Depends on the boost level and the amount of HP it will be producing. This link gives the maual calculations but there are some interactive ones if you search online http://www.msdignition.com/fuel_1.htm
3) don't know
4)Depends...how long before you get the S/C? Why do the work twice if you it's only a month or so out?
5)Yep, it can handle the S/C. As for boost level, safe is 7...maybe 8 PSI tops. Depends on the tune of the car. Some people will swear you can get higher if you get a really good tune...probably true but I would rather have a motor that lasts another 90K than one that literaly blows itself to pieces in 20K.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the Advise, anyone else with suggestions?
Old 10-12-2005, 02:23 AM
95whitecobra
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black Snake

Sup all,

1. As someone already stated if it has a C.A.R.B. number its legal. I believe they all do.

2. With forced induction and your other mods i.e. heads & intake, I don't believe even the 24's will cut it. Check with the s/c manufacturer for further.

3. Is your car a speed density car? If it has mass air already there is no need to change computers to change the MAF. I would wait until you find out what injectors you'll need with the s/c before purchasing the MAF and get one calibrated for the new injectors.

4. That's up to you. What timeframe are you looking at to complete the purchase of everything? The new heads and intake will not have to be removed to add the s/c unless you get a KB, and the you'll remove the intake.

5. Of course it can, its more the condition of the motor than the miles. Some 60,000 mile motors are trash from poor maintenance while some with 150,000 purr like a kitten. Have a compression check done to gauge the condition of the motor. If it's a daily driver 10psi should be safe and give impressive results.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:38 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Ya Im still a speed density car, Really not even the 24s will be enough? Wow. The SuperCharger im looking for is prolly going to be a Powerdane or a Vortec, I really want one that screams that really whines, and what ive heard the Vortec is the way to go. As of right now I have $1,180 dollars for the SuperCharger and I have no clue how much it will cost me, but im hoping to have about $2,600 in the next 2-3 months.

So maybe I should put the Heads and intake on while I wait. I just cant wait till I get my S/C.

What do you guys think about being a good idea to have a Daily Driver with this amount of mods, Daily driver meaing to school and work and back. School is about 20 Miles away and work is around the block so I dont plan on doing too much driving.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:06 AM
95whitecobra
2nd Gear Member

I am not to familiar with supercharged SD cars, but I know the computers to like cam changes. There are a lot of heavily modded s/c'd daily drivers around. After its all installed if it idles poorly, you may have to convert to mass air, which is still CA legal. What year is your car?
Old 10-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Its an 87. I dont plan on doing anything to the cam, just yet anyways. Just for now the heads and intake. I also want to put a 70mm TB.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:52 PM
JW86GT

First time looking around but I have an 86 GT that I put a Powerdyne 9psi on with 130,000 miles on it and is just now due to abuse at 180,000 looking for a new motor. The speed density will make the fuel fall off at around 3500. Found that one out after installing the S/C. A friend helped me convert to MAF with one ripped out of an 89. Still running 19's. It passes jersey emissions every two years.