5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

lost fuel pressure, hose came off of pump??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 01:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

Default lost fuel pressure, hose came off of pump??

car had been sitting for a long time with engine apart. i put engine back together along with a new gas tank, level sensor, fuel pump, filter.
car started right up (surprisingly as i was expecting the worst).
but as i let it run, it died out and seemed like it ran out of gas.
no pressure on the fuel gauge on the rail.
pump is definitely working, i have my wife turn the key while im under the car with my ear to the tank. i can hear the pump running, and i can hear gurgling in the tank (like a fountain). i disconnected the supply from the tank to the fuel filter and ran the pump and nothing comes out.

the car ran for a good 5-10 minutes before dying from lack of fuel, and the fuel lines and rails would have been empty and not get any gas if the hoses were backwards i would assume, and if they would somehow get fuel if they were backwards, then it should still be getting fuel.

i dont see any fuel flowing anywhere outside the tank, soo, now im puzzled. im guessing that the hose (that connects the pump to the bracket) came off inside the tank.

thanks in advance for any thoughts on this

Last edited by 9550; 08-20-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:15 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if you have no pressure, make sure none of the lines above the tank got pinched, then drop the tank and inspect fuel pump assembly
Old 08-23-2017, 02:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by mjr46
if you have no pressure, make sure none of the lines above the tank got pinched, then drop the tank and inspect fuel pump assembly
If the lines aren't pinched, the hose that connects the fuel pump to the outlet fittings most likely came loose or the hose blew out. Unless it's a crimp-on style hose clamp, a worm gear clamp can sometimes allow the hose to work itself loose because it's not tightened down enough or, if it's over-tightened it cuts the line.

That's my guess.

Let us know what you find.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
when you are putting the tank back on, do you tighten the bolts (and thus the straps) all the way down, or just enough so the tank is snug and not moving around?
Old 08-24-2017, 10:59 AM
3rd Gear Member

i dropped the tank enough to get the filler tube out and looked in the tank and saw the fuel line came off the pump, so it was just pumping into the tank, like a fountain, like i guessed. so i had to drop the tank all the way and put the hose back on. i didnt tighten it though cause i figure that was just a freak event, shouldnt happen again.

ok, jk, actually i tightened that thing for sure.

car fired right up, but my pressure is crazy high, like 60psi, gonna have to adjust the next time im working on it. i attribute the higher pressure to the new pump, i believe it has much more lph than the previous (original).

thanks guys for your input
Old 09-01-2017, 05:55 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Good trouble shooting 9550. I also installed a fuel pressure regulator in the 1994 GT we ran at Z-MAX. There is a trick to getting the right pressure with fuel injection. I remember I couldn't get the right pressure at idle. But can't remember at what RPM I was adjusting it at. Someone help me out here.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:24 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

it is probably from cheap clamps. I remember talking to my old boss about having car after car come back with loose clamps that they knew they tightened